Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

Would you like to see AA3 maps in Assist?

Yes, I am ok with downloading 250MB+
1668 (83.7%)
No
325 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: AA3 Maps Discussion  (Read 19348 times)

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Re: AA3 Maps Discussion
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
5000 users? where?

Offline Ganja

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
4270 forum members.
Probably 200 forum members and 4070 Pit's accounts

Offline FilteredName1488911

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Honestly if you can't handle others giving up their free time for the  :censored: of it, then go elsewhere. I don't understand why you have to be such a hater, give it up and get another life playing and hacking COD.

O.o

If there is anyone hating here, it's rather you, sir.

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
BTW: Shame - almost 5000 users and after 48 hours only 36 votes...

It's always been like that: only a tiny part of all players come to this forum.

What's funny is how admins keep creating those polls, and base their decisions on such an illusion of "community".

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 13:43:33 PM »
I'd guess it's to cover their ass. If they have a poll, then when people come and complain afterwards, they can point it out and say "you had your chance for a vote".

And I don't think adding AA3 maps with the "higher detail" and whatever would do much damage. I'm pretty sure our map developers are pretty decent at managing stuff like that. Look at mAAp Pipeline for example. It might run at a slightly lower resolution (haven't checked), but even if it does, it still looks a lot more than just slightly better than the regular.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 13:48:01 PM by teddy_grizzly_bear »
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 14:16:36 PM »
4270 forum members.
Probably 200 forum members and 4070 Pit's accounts

4071 ganja get it right lol

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 14:16:54 PM »
I'd guess it's to cover their ass. If they have a poll, then when people come and complain afterwards, they can point it out and say "you had your chance for a vote".

That wasn't the purpose. It's a chance for people to come and drop an opinion, cast a vote, etc. . There also used to be a message at the login screen on the Assist.

What's funny is how admins keep creating those polls, and base their decisions on such an illusion of "community".

It's not like that: most of the players join the forum, ask for an honor claim, an account activation or such. After they're done with that, they mostly never come back. What would you do to get more people to partecipate? (out of curiosity really)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 14:18:53 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 15:10:57 PM »
True: it's not about the HD space - it's about the performance. AA3 maps are more complex (static meshes are more detailed, textures with higher resolution, sounds with higher quality etc.) and this will have direct impact on......those people.
I not worried about me, my PC is one level up than Hi-End, but for most people even the middle-high end pc is beyond the reach.

Your computer is largely irrelevant as long as it's dual-core or higher. 2.5 only makes use of 1 core. The stuff in newer games isn't exponentially more detailed. AA3 performance hit was more on the engine's features than the map content. There might have been things like fog and weather effects that are much better looking but they come at a higher CPU price. My point is, I've played some of the AA3 maps and the performance is low but that's largely due to them not being optimized. Once Zones, Anti-Portals and perhaps even cull distances are setup, the maps should be very close to 2.5's maps. More staticmeshes is a good thing, they're faster to render than BSP which a lot of 2.5 maps are made out of (Pipeline...).
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline mauriciomudryk

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 16:23:53 PM »
Hello,

It is an excellent idea, making the "downgrade" a popular map AA3.

I have some maps and would submit them to maapck.

I want to participate in this work.

Cheers.
tuatara

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 17:33:58 PM »
Your computer is largely irrelevant as long as it's dual-core or higher.
... :D ...

Well, good Gaming PC is not only because of multiple CPU cores and believe or not, but dual-core or higher in these days is standard... You should know this better than that - like you I am a computer scientist.
As for 'newer games', you're wrong - especially when it comes to impact on the performance by game content.
...More staticmeshes is a good thing, they're faster to render than BSP which a lot of 2.5 maps are made out of (Pipeline...).
Yeah, but height polygons SM will have the same effect... Besides, conversion of BSP to SM entails a deterioration of visual quality (shadows, lighting...). Generally, in such cases, is used LightMap, but probably AA2.5 engine doesn't support it. There is many more aspects, but we are already Off Topic.

Still only 37 votes (+1)... Now I see, what you have in mind...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 19:40:53 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 18:15:48 PM »
... :D ...

Well, good Gaming PC is not only because of multiple CPU cores and believe or not, but dual-core or higher in these days is standard... You should know this better than that - like you I am a computer scientist. As for 'newer games', you're wrong - especially when it comes to impact on the performance by game content.
I was mostly talking for AA. I know quads are kind of the bare minimum for modern games. As far as UE2 is concerned, 1 core or 16... doesn't matter. Often, AA won't even use 100% of your CPU before FPS drops. I don't know if it's cache or something else that slows it down...

Yeah, but height polygons SM will have the same effect... Besides, conversion of BSP to SM entails a deterioration of visual quality (shadows, lighting...). Generally, in such cases, is used ShadowMap, but probably AA2.5 engine doesn't support it. There is many more aspects, but we are already Off Topic.
You're talking about per-vertex shading on meshes in UE2 which is correct. It looks hideous. This can be overcome with some clever lighting practices. BSP has higher quality "baked on" shadows and better collision but meshes render faster. It's a balance.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 18:25:52 PM »
That wasn't the purpose. It's a chance for people to come and drop an opinion, cast a vote, etc. . There also used to be a message at the login screen on the Assist.
I know the main purpose is to see what people think about it, but I was referring to the fact that you'll have people coming here moaning about whatever you do after it's done. You can never please everyone and this poll is designed to make it plausible to please a majority. But as stated before, not a whole lot of people who play this game come here on these forums (which given the size of the community is unfortunate).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 19:39:35 PM »
You're talking about per-vertex shading on meshes in UE2 which is correct. It looks hideous. This can be overcome with some clever lighting practices.
Because of different techniques - pixel/vertex shader - only LightMap (additional texture...) used on SM can compensate the difference. Basically, every UE2 has this feature, but is - in most of the cases -  disabled by devs (the same for BumpMapping...).
UE3 that's another story...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 19:45:59 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 19:50:13 PM »
I don't think that feature is available for our version of UE2. We can't even do bump mapping...

One thing that was done that was somewhat interesting is that when we had a 3d modeler, he took a mesh he made and loaded the texture onto it and added light in the same direction the map had it and baked a shadow into the texture itself so only 1 texture was needed. This isn't bad but texture quality could degrade it and if you change/move light sources, it obviously won't update.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, October 01, 2013, 19:54:09 PM »
I don't think that feature is available for our version of UE2. We can't even do bump mapping...

One thing that was done that was somewhat interesting is that when we had a 3d modeler, he took a mesh he made and loaded the texture onto it and added light in the same direction the map had it and baked a shadow into the texture itself so only 1 texture was needed. This isn't bad but texture quality could degrade it and if you change/move light sources, it obviously won't update.

But what about tesselation? Don't you think evaluation and control shaders shall work even in UE2 engine?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager