Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA id dead and here is why.  (Read 11791 times)

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
Re: AA id dead and here is why.
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 18:19:06 PM »
I have spent a fair bit of time teaching new guys letting them kill me. I also had to put up with the clowns when I ask if there new they say yes kill me a few time then I realise there at it. But hey more important to let the new guys win and bring them on. Agreed dark for once.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline Alex

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 18:32:09 PM »
There are many things wrong with AA nowadays, but one of the most  counterproductive thing I've witnessed is the noobbashing of visibly new players, low honors etc. Everybody goes all negative towards them rather than helping them, and giving some tips. Give newer players a warm welcome, and in stead of teamkilling/votekicking them when they do something stupid, teach them.
I agree to some extent. I'm always nice to new users. I think a bigger problem is that this game has a huge learning curve and it's made even more impossible to learn and have fun when you're going up against a bunch of old time players, which this game is mostly comprised of. It's even worse when you consider all of the pipeline(and other map) defense whores sitting on the easy side of the map and the new users get stuck on assault, get killed a lot and quit the game. It's simply not fun and people will stop playing. This is a problem we unfortunately can't really solve.

Offline SASF-DarkShooter

• Respected Members
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 18:35:43 PM »
That indeed is a bigger problem. One thing I used to do, on the few maps I know well, is teaching new players the commonly used abbreviations in game, e.g. on bridge ERB/ERC/ERW etc. Especially for the new people who are trying, tiny little things like that can mean a whole lot, and it only takes a minute or two.

Offline Alex

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 20:24:23 PM »
That indeed is a bigger problem. One thing I used to do, on the few maps I know well, is teaching new players the commonly used abbreviations in game, e.g. on bridge ERB/ERC/ERW etc. Especially for the new people who are trying, tiny little things like that can mean a whole lot, and it only takes a minute or two.
Agreed. Honestly this is where teamspeak shines the brightest. You can relay much more knowledge about the game through ts than text chat in-game.
However, this game doesn't have much going for it. It's old, it looks terrible, it's hard to learn, it has very little features and only one game mode. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, this game only exists for people who used to play it and want to keep playing it. The attraction for new players is simply not there and it never will be no matter what we do.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:05:58 AM »
I agree to some extent. I'm always nice to new users. I think a bigger problem is that this game has a huge learning curve and it's made even more impossible to learn and have fun when you're going up against a bunch of old time players, which this game is mostly comprised of. It's even worse when you consider all of the pipeline(and other map) defense whores sitting on the easy side of the map and the new users get stuck on assault, get killed a lot and quit the game. It's simply not fun and people will stop playing. This is a problem we unfortunately can't really solve.

Think you will find thats what I said and you disagreed now your agreed ahwell thats good.

Has assist Got Team Speak? If it has I never saw . If it hasnt and you know it helps why havent they got it?

Yep its good to bring on new players. But there is a place for it one on one. Theres a new guy just now. SO i have him. Regiment is on ass with two adrian what ever his name is and another reasonable player. I am playing against three. The noob is dancing at the back or idle or throwing smokes every where. That is a pain in the arse. And not the time for it. Reg wanted him kicked when he was on the noobs side, But he didnt want him licked when he was on the other side. SO not the place to learn. And reg iment is another one of these selfish clowns that ruin the game.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:17:55 AM by -Vegeta- »
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny

Offline Alex

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:23:18 AM »
Think you will find thats what I said and you disagreed now your agreed ahwell thats good.

Has assist Got Team Speak? If it has I never saw . If it hasnt and you know it helps why havent they got it?

Yep its good to bring on new players. But there is a place for it one on one. Theres a new guy just now. SO i have him. Regiment is on ass with two adrian what ever his name is and another reasonable player. I am playing against three. The noob is dancing at the back or idle or throwing smokes every where. That is a pain in the arse. And not the time for it. Reg wanted him kicked when he was on the noobs side, But he didnt want him licked when he was on the other side. SO not the place to learn. And reg iment is another one of these selfish clowns that ruin the game.
I never agreed that AA was dying, just that its prospects for expanding are very poor.

As for TS, we have a TS viewer right on the forum index... I find it hard to believe that you never saw it.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:24:41 AM »
I never agreed that AA was dying, just that its prospects for expanding are very poor.

As for TS, we have a TS viewer right on the forum index... I find it hard to believe that you never saw it.

It looks like an advert. When I would see ts else where its a lot bigger. But It could be because I dont have ot it looks different?

Offline ronski

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:27:33 AM »
it's not far away, from top menu, servers > teamspeak: http://aao25.com/teamspeak/

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 04:30:52 AM »
got it thanks

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 06:59:37 AM »
it's not far away, from top menu, servers > teamspeak: http://aao25.com/teamspeak/
Also, just as Killa said, there's a rather big sign "AAO25 TEAMSPEAK" accompanied with the viewer.

The reason its' not bigger (i.e showing who's on what channel and so on) is because it made the site slower.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline raw

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
AA has bee "dead' and "dying" even since this project was started years ago and yet there are still plenty of people playing.

When this project started actually? Just wondering how fast the time flies...i guess 2013?
AA2  2005-2015
AA:PG 2015-

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »
The project started back in 2008.
It took over the whole game when the US Army dropped their support late 2011.
http://aao25.com/wiki/index.php?title=Assist_History

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Alex

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 14:35:33 PM »
The project started back in 2008.
It took over the whole game when the US Army dropped their support late 2011.
http://aao25.com/wiki/index.php?title=Assist_History
While it is true that the Assist project was started way back in 2008, it had a different purpose then. Official auth was still up and the client was to unify all of the custom content as well as help people on OS X get into servers.
Assist as we know it today didn't really start until 2012, after the oifficial auth was shut down. Look at version 2.2 in the history wiki.

EDIT: It seems to be that's what you were saying and I just missed it. :P
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 14:45:50 PM by KiLLaMaN »

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 16:48:02 PM »
While it is true that the Assist project was started way back in 2008, it had a different purpose then. Official auth was still up and the client was to unify all of the custom content as well as help people on OS X get into servers.
Assist as we know it today didn't really start until 2012, after the oifficial auth was shut down. Look at version 2.2 in the history wiki.

EDIT: It seems to be that's what you were saying and I just missed it. :P
Never doubt a teddy bear ;)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 17:56:57 PM »
I think this was the first forum discussion about the matter, at least as far as I recall...it was late December 2011, a few days after the official auth & services shutdown. I remember jonny talking about an early version of the auth that was running on a really noisy and not terribly power efficient server in his shed/barn :D

http://aao25.com/forum/general-chat-90/greetings/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 18:00:55 PM by Koden »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager