Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Pipeline Smoke Penetration  (Read 26381 times)

Offline Leet

Pipeline Smoke Penetration
« on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 14:57:54 PM »
Hi all,

I'm not sure if it's a texture or a code issue, but one thing that I've always found silly is that you can throw a smoke in pipeline in the corner outside of main entrance and it will fill the hallway and main entrance with smoke. Is there any way to fix the smoke penetration of these walls?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Pipeline Smoke Penetration
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 15:39:23 PM »
Not at all. This kind of behavior happens even in modern games. Basically, the smoke is just a whole pile of transparent textures overlayed on each other. The texture is scaled larger and then disappears. The texture goes through anything, any object. If enough time was spent and the engine was better, it might be possible to use hundreds or thousands of textures in small scale rather than the 20 or so large ones that make up the smoke now. By using tons of smaller textures, you can make them behave like particles and have them bounce off walls and things like that. But, this engine is so old that FPS would be almost non-existent if this happened.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 15:49:49 PM »
Yes, like Spanky said, there's noting that can be done really.

But what I wanted to say was that I know some of the competitions didn't allow using this "feature" at some points.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 18:39:22 PM »
Actually, this engine is capable to destroy particle on collision - it depends on particle implementation, but this will 'kill' online gaming (is too 'heavy' for net).
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 19:01:11 PM »
Yea, you can kill particles but then you have huge amounts of smoke disappearing and it's not very realistic, at least with large textures/sprites. If you used hundreds or thousands of sprites, having them destroy on collision would work, it just would be very intensive and not feasible on this engine.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 08, 2015, 20:07:53 PM »
What else would you expect to happen with all the cheap workmanship and corner cutting all the building contractors were using constructing the buildings. Cracks in walls so large you see peoples heads and guns coming through. HA HA  :D :D
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 01:12:34 AM »
What else would you expect to happen with all the cheap workmanship and corner cutting all the building contractors were using constructing the buildings. Cracks in walls so large you see peoples heads and guns coming through. HA HA  :D :D
Yeah, apparantly the US Army didn't have money to hire good builders so they outsourced it to India or China or something.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Leet

« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
That's interesting, why are textures allowed to pass through each other anyway? Rather, why isn't there some sort of collision detection for *specific* texture interactions (like wall and smoke)?
« Last Edit: Friday, January 09, 2015, 02:27:48 AM by Leet »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
You can do collision for BSP (walls). You generally don't want collision though because the textures are so huge and if one disappeared, it would almost make the whole screen flash and look weird. Particles are a very tricky thing to get looking right, darn near impossible on an old engine.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 03:44:25 AM »
You can do collision for BSP (walls). You generally don't want collision though because the textures are so huge and if one disappeared, it would almost make the whole screen flash and look weird. Particles are a very tricky thing to get looking right, darn near impossible on an old engine.
So all in all, from what I've gathered, the problem is that you can't just "delete" a part of texture, you can only remove the whole thing. And because smoke is made out of just a couple (10-15 I guess?) of textures, having some of them disappear would make it look aweful and useless.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
So all in all, from what I've gathered, the problem is that you can't just "delete" a part of texture, you can only remove the whole thing. And because smoke is made out of just a couple (10-15 I guess?) of textures, having some of them disappear would make it look aweful and useless.

Correct. You could get past this by using hundreds or thousands of textures that are much smaller so it behaves more like real life particles but, this engine is far too old to be capable of such hungry features.

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:40:08 PM »
what about fixing the see through wall bug? (:

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:43:08 PM »
what about fixing the see through wall bug? (:
Make a list of places where this is a problem and provide screenshots, then we can use some trickery to prevent people from doing that, namely adding Anti-Portals in the walls.

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:52:51 PM »
i can do it on any wall.. its very simple even works on terain in bridge but afterall its the same thing

cant move when i open map in offline for some reason?

ill just yolo PB and take few SS on some empty pipe server
« Last Edit: Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:57:21 PM by phuNkiii.ops »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 09, 2015, 14:58:35 PM »
You can't move because your player is locked, type "mpcheat playerlock0" in the console or just class a weapon.

I know that can be done on any wall, my point was, where is it a problem? Where is it an advantage? Where should we focus on fixing it?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager