Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Game Freezing randomly  (Read 16819 times)

Offline SASF-DarkShooter

• Respected Members
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Re: Game Freezing randomly
« Reply #45 on: Friday, December 20, 2013, 16:04:53 PM »
Is AA the only game you play on your pc?
Try other 'heavy' applications like video/image editing software, and see how your pc holds up then.

Offline nailum

• fuckum if they cant take a joke
    • View Profile
  • AA: nailum
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, January 04, 2014, 12:48:24 PM »
Problem is this game was designed on slower systems and now that the dev team has added new maps that require new textures and more processing power and  memory needed to play there will be issues. Might as well play AA3 now. At the beginning of this project and complaints later on about the mods and such where shot down by many people and to a point where it almost ended the project. Decisions where made to keep the games to it original state, look where we are now. JS

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, January 04, 2014, 14:31:27 PM »
Nobody is forcing you to play the new AA3 maps, you can play all the other maps just as good as you could with the last version of Assist. (except the holiday maps of course)
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Mixk

« Reply #48 on: Saturday, January 04, 2014, 15:29:25 PM »
Problem is this game was designed on slower systems and now that the dev team has added new maps that require new textures and more processing power and  memory needed to play there will be issues. Might as well play AA3 now. At the beginning of this project and complaints later on about the mods and such where shot down by many people and to a point where it almost ended the project. Decisions where made to keep the games to it original state, look where we are now. JS
Though short of getting my hands on his laptop to check it out I can say his problem should have nothing to do with the changes because it had been playing fine up till around the 18th of December and the game had no changes at that time and of course it can't be the latest changes to the game since they just came out and his troubles started close to three weeks ago. I know people probably think I am full of shit but with what info there has been given, I still think it could be memory related. 64 bit windows and if other programs are trying to run in the back ground, even though it's believed nothing is, and being a laptop with a hard drive starting to fail wouldn't it be safe to say that the physical memory could have a stick that  had been intermittently acting up from say getting way to hot before now and is being noticed now due to the condition of it getting worse? I would be willing to lay odds that heat is what is causing the deterioration of the hard drive simply because I have repaired two laptops not to long ago that hard drives failed in and one was for sure heat related. It was getting so hot you couldn't leave your hands on the keyboard. Temps were running 110-112 C just browsing the web. I took it apart and it had nothing  restricting the air flow so I removed the cpu and spent 25 or so minutes getting all the old rock hard thermal paste off and put a dab of good old arctic on there and temps dropped to 57-78 C. Heat is a silent killer some times and with a laptop everything is in very close quarters and if the wife, girlfriend or who ever happens to set it down on the bed with the fan opening blocked, it doesn't take long to start ruining things. Just the ramblings from a Iowa farmer.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, January 04, 2014, 16:33:26 PM »
Adding textures and new maps doesn't hurt overall game performance. Playing Bridge now is absolutely no different than it was 10 years ago, except we all have better hardware. You can add 50GB of textures and meshes to the game and it won't hurt the game. Unreal only loads the assets that are necessary (it doesn't even load the whole file if it doesn't need to).

AA3 maps that are ported to AA2 will be slower, it's because the engine just wasn't designed for all of these new assets. We're using multi-core assets on a single-core engine so of course AA3 map performance won't be great but there's plenty of people enjoying them.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline nailum

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, January 05, 2014, 14:40:20 PM »

AA3 maps that are ported to AA2 will be slower, it's because the engine just wasn't designed for all of these new assets. We're using multi-core assets on a single-core engine so of course AA3 map performance won't be great but there's plenty of people enjoying them.

That's my point not everyone has the processing power to load the required assets for the map and if the server has no idle, time limit  less then the time to load assets your kicked out of the game before it loads.

You contradicting statement

Adding textures and new maps doesn't hurt overall game performance.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, January 05, 2014, 14:43:08 PM »
You contradicting statement
Spanky can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I think he's saying is that adding more content does nothing to performance on maps that don't get changed.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, January 05, 2014, 14:51:15 PM »
Spanky can correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I think he's saying is that adding more content does nothing to performance on maps that don't get changed.

Exactly. Like I said, we can add 50GB of textures, meshes, sounds and other goodies but performance on Bridge, Urban Assault and the other maps will stay the same. Adding stuff doesn't affect the game's performance, it only affects the performance of the map those assets are in. In the case of AA3 maps, they're going to be problematic because it's tough to get a modern map to perform and look properly on an old engine (especially one that only uses a single CPU core).

This was the first public release (it's a beta) and before now, we've only tested on a dozen or so computers so the information we're getting now is incredibly valuable and the next release will be much more refined.

Offline nailum

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, January 05, 2014, 15:01:32 PM »
Nobody is forcing you to play the new AA3 maps, you can play all the other maps just as good as you could with the last version of Assist. (except the holiday maps of course)

That's right no one is forcing me to play the AA3 maps but my point was in the past people wanted to keep the game original, so things change over time I understand the reasoning too.........numbers

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, January 05, 2014, 15:05:34 PM »
You can still play the original game, the maps are there and the gameplay hasn't changed. SAI was added but users can disable that if they want.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager