Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Default keyboard layout from AA 2.8.5 (or custom)  (Read 3605 times)

Offline BrutoDetestsSB

• View Profile
Default keyboard layout from AA 2.8.5 (or custom)
« on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 18:42:37 PM »
Hello people and thank you for helping AA.

I think 2.8.5 keyboard layout or a subset of it (important keys are: q, e, alt fire...) should be the default layout for new AA installations. This helps a bit to switch from 2.8.5 to 2.5, as well as it is just better.

While I am at it: does the server default configuration to print a blue text about 25Assist while playing? If it is so. then should be in a different colour, as blue is used for team mate death messages.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Default keyboard layout from AA 2.8.5 (or custom)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 18:50:13 PM »

I think 2.8.5 keyboard layout or a subset of it (important keys are: q, e, alt fire...) should be the default layout for new AA installations. This helps a bit to switch from 2.8.5 to 2.5, as well as it is just better.

While I am at it: does the server default configuration to print a blue text about 25Assist while playing? If it is so. then should be in a different colour, as blue is used for team mate death messages.

Totally agree as i find 2.8.5 key config quite a lot better. I don't know why AA developers setted up 2.5 key config this way, but it's not that straightforward as it might be (e.g. you select pistol with P instead of 8, you unjam with F instead of J - pretty obvious why J is better than F to remember! lolz).

Btw yes standard colour for assist message is blue - of a particular type that still looks a lot like death messages (even if it's not the same i think).

P.s. nice username ;) we know why.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 18:54:46 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 18:54:40 PM »
In defense of the devs, F is closer to the left hand when playing with a keyboard and mouse. J you have to move one hand off of the major controls. P is easy to remember for pistol. You gotta remember too that the key config stayed unchanged probably from at least AA v2.0 which is easily 8 years old. Games were different back then.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 19:00:17 PM »
In defense of the devs, F is closer to the left hand when playing with a keyboard and mouse. J you have to move one hand off of the major controls. P is easy to remember for pistol. You gotta remember too that the key config stayed unchanged probably from at least AA v2.0 which is easily 8 years old. Games were different back then.

Yep but since pistol is a weapon they should have placed in the number keys close to all of the other equipment keys, as they actually did on last versions. On the other hand you don't happen to unjam a weapon very often. To tell the truth, back then the worst part of AA keys config for me was the Tilda key, since aside of spanish and english keyboard, any other keyboard doesn't have it i think (at least italian one doesn't). I still prefer switching keyboard config from It to English from windows when playing rather than taking time over carefully modify each key in the config.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 23:28:32 PM »
Or you can just change the keys in the settings menu.....

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 19:56:41 PM »
2.8.5 weenies
(even though i am too lol)

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 04:37:36 AM »

except people like me who like the 2.5 layout and use it in 2.8.5...  It was always a pain, as it used to reset every now and then..

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
btw:
you can change your settings within the user.ini - so every key you wish to program can be done there, right?
i came down from 2.8.5 and it tried a bit for my optimized config. now i am almost happy :)

ps: exept there is no way to open all weapon slots - not good :(

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager