Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: [Release] SAI Bug/Issues  (Read 8777 times)

Offline ELiZ

Re: [Release] SAI Bug/Issues
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »
If I understand right, that's a "feature" of the game BUT the SAI tries to override that and provide more reliable information but it doesn't always work. Personally, I don't think it's an issue. You mostly need a dot to show where players are and as far as I can tell, it's updated at LEAST once a second at a distance which is fine. If the rotation and faster replication updates can't be fixed then I would suggest removing the arrow on the player icon at that distance so people don't think the player is pointing a direction they're not.

Agree, I'll remove the arrow when "too" far away for the built in functions to work.
Should be more visual pleasing now that it will be much smoother, and not get stuck like it did before.
It will also cut back on the lag people is reporting, since much less data is replicated.
Might also help out with the CE's

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
Alright, I might have found some helpful information relating to what looks like a UT2004 mod and possible ways to fix the same interaction CE. Keep in mind, it looks like the user Szlat is a dev/coder for the mod. The interesting thing is that they're talking about stuff not being cleaned up after a player dies, I've noticed some stray enemy reported or dead players upon round start with the SAI that fade away after a few seconds.

Source:
http://www.disastrousconsequences.com/dcforum/posts/list/4722.page

In the previous version, you died and as you respawned then it crashed. I seemed to have managed to move the bug so that it now crashes as you die rather than when you respawn. It's a bug in the code if the crash message mentions Post_Render

I have managed to duplicate this error once on my test system, so finally making progress.

I believe it is to do with things not being cleaned up properly when you die. Once it has gone wrong, I think either then, or when you respawn, or at some future point, it will crash.

So, has anyone had this problem WITHOUT having died first? Please tell me if you have. Thanks

Then a post with some code from tgroombr:

So I had this little sweet-talk today with Marco - kidding, we got down to business. 

Okay. First the cause:

An object based class has a pointer to a destroyed actor. Unlike actors, the pointer is not set to None, so it will crash with a NULL access pointer - well not NULL, but invalid pointer.

So as an example for fix for LimitBreakInteraction:
Code: [Select]
function PostRender(Canvas Canvas)
 {
  if (lbInv == None)
  {
  FindlbInv();
  if (lbInv == None)
  return;
  if( lbInv.InteractionOwner!=None )
  lbInv.InteractionOwner.lbInv = None;
  lbInv.InteractionOwner = Self;
  }
 }

And then in LimitBreakInv:
var transient LimitBreakInteraction InteractionOwner;

simulated function Destroyed()
 {
  if( InteractionOwner!=None )
  {
  InteractionOwner.lbInv = None;
  InteractionOwner = None;
  }
  Super.Destroyed();
 }

The pointer needs to be set to None manually upon actor destroy.

So for in DruidsRPGKeysInteraction, the following should go in the PostRender function:
if (EInv == None)
  FindEPInv();
 if (MInv == None)
  FindMPInv();

Marco wrote:
If whoever wrote that mod, SHOULD know how to fix the crash from the example I gave above. It's not even hard to fix for someone who knows the cause.

Let me show an example:
var SomeActor Actor;

function Something()
 {
  Actor = Spawn(SomeActor...);
  Actor.Destroy();
  Actor.SomeFunction();
 }

If that code is executed on an actor based class it will throw script warning because when Destroy is called, Actor is set to None automatically by the engine, BUT if this code is in a non-actor based class, it won't set the Actor to None upon Destroy. So the result is an invalid pointer to an non-existing actor.

NULL = 0 = None
SomeActor = A memory reference = The actor name

It's all yours Szlat.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Ganja

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »
I noticed on a server, when someone got CE, and got kicked, you culd still see him at spawn on radar for a little moment. Not sure if it's what you just said ;)

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
I noticed on a server, when someone got CE, and got kicked, you culd still see him at spawn on radar for a little moment. Not sure if it's what you just said ;)
No, on the starting of a round, I often saw enemy reported icons around the map, maybe 4-5 of them.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:02:32 PM »
I just sent an e-mail to VendorX asking his thoughts on these problems and also sent him a copy of the source. He's a UScript grand master champion. If he can't figure it out, I don't have much hope.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:26:11 PM »
with some information from crashlog provided by !Phon3^-, I might have gained some information

Can anyone verify that the General protection fault! CE come when you spawn after dying
Remember, we have 2 different CE's, the one I'm talking about here and the other one that is related to DirectX

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:29:20 PM »
Should we start a new debugging thread? There's several here and it's getting kinda messy.

Offline ]-KTA-[Helldiver

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:34:20 PM »
with some information from crashlog provided by !Phon3^-, I might have gained some information

Can anyone verify that the General protection fault! CE come when you spawn after dying
Remember, we have 2 different CE's, the one I'm talking about here and the other one that is related to DirectX

Yes I can verify that. CE comes when you die und spawn again but like in my case, not everytime.

Offline noobslayer

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:45:14 PM »
Yes I can verify that. CE comes when you die und spawn again but like in my case, not everytime.

I survived the round and when we respawned I had the CE..

Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, fuck a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks, trust me its alot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said...

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 13:50:08 PM »

I had it ones, while the game was ongoing and I was alive and I just switched to windows to see this thread, while coming back I got a CE.
other one was when I died I got it a fiew seconds later I guess.
but the strange thing is, that you can not be sure when it happends. sometimes like other do say, you can play for 30 minutes without anything, then in 10 mins you can have 2-3 CE's.
maybe something with memory allocation, when more players are on, it happened often  I guess.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #40 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:10:02 PM »
It's also possible to determine when you're gonna have CE by the lagg you have. When you reach a huge lagg round, you know the next round will be the one :p

Offline Rapture

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:12:02 PM »
well lastnight i was on mountain pass on assault and was rounding mid way up the center peak and spotted a enemy and just as i was engaging in a fire fight (maybe 15 bullets fired) boom i get a critical.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, August 18, 2013, 14:46:11 PM »
SAI has been updated, all further discussion should be done in this thread:
http://aao25.com/news-65/sai-v0-18-update-(ce-fix-attempt)/

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager