ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Poke  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Thrice

• View Profile
  • AA: Thrice
Poke
« on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
Hey there,

so I was curious about that poke stuff and tried it out.

I am not sure how detailed your logs are - but I actually joined an empty server just to test it out.
Got a temp ban for 24h on this peculiar server.
No harm done.

Few days later I got a global ban.
Isn't this a bit harsh?

Playername: Thrice
BT: http://battletracker.com/playerstats/aao/819363/Thrice/
Reason: Being curious lol

Hope you don't mind unbanning me.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Thrice

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
Re: Poke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
So let me get this straight, you started playing 3 days ago and first thing you got on your mind was "hmm poke, wth is that, please let me test..." ?

Was something like that?
Then the answer is poke = ban. Hope you had fun testing.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Thrice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
No, I've been playing AA since 2006(?).

I just didn't remember my aaotracker login after they merged with battletracker in 2009.
This is my old account: http://battletracker.com/playerstats/aao/511739/

Banning players for using Poke on an empty server is like possessing a gun (legally) and getting sent to jail for shooting into the air. (As far as I am concerned this is legal - I am not american, so I wouldn't know ^^).

Also this is the command I tried:
Code: [Select]
// PlayerReplicationInfo Pokes (these only are visible to you)
Poke PlayerReplicationInfo Bridge.PlayerReplicationInfo bAdmin true // talks as an admin

Again, I think that this is kinda harsh, considering that the command I tried doesn't even do anything besides my own client.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 15:46:34 PM »
The logs are fairly detailed but not detailed enough to know how many players were on the server when you used the command. I'll give you this much because you sound like a slightly reasonable guy. The admins will discuss it over and will let you know the final verdict.

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 16:02:02 PM »
"I was curious" is an awful defense.

Offline Thrice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 16:45:56 PM »
Well, what else can I say?

After I got the temp ban, I've searched the aao25 forums, and had an interesting read.
Therefore...
If I really wanted to cheat, I could've tried EditObj or a way better Poke command than admintalk.

I am a fair player at heart, especially when it comes to skillbased games.
But that is exactly why I am curious.

I want to know if there is a 'legal' way to have an edge over other players - just like the run & gun exploit back in 2.4 or diverse .ini tweaks.
Luckily all of those are taken care off by various mods and cvars.

Anyways back then, as far as I can remember, you didn't even get a global ban for using real hacks - you just got kicked and maybe banned from the server itself for using a detected hack (unless ACI protected).

All in all who doesn't want to know if theres an unfair advantage others might have and a lot of players are oblivious off?

It's up to you now.
Thanks for your input so far.

Best Regards
Thrice

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 17:14:34 PM »
Give him a chance. He looks smart. Just let him show his innocence by fair playing after unban.

There is a difference between cheater-fucker (radar, wallhack etc) and person who made a mistake (stupid console commands).

« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 17:16:37 PM by [Majestic]tidididi »

Offline zoxee

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 17:55:59 PM »
Give him a chance. He looks smart. Just let him show his innocence by fair playing after unban.

There is a difference between cheater-fucker (radar, wallhack etc) and person who made a mistake (stupid console commands).
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline wickid

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 20:35:26 PM »

that is the truth

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:29:23 PM »
What about those who are "curious" about shadowbot, should we unban them too? It's supposed to be zero tolerance.

« Reply #10 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »
What about those who are "curious" about shadowbot, should we unban them too? It's supposed to be zero tolerance.

At all I don't know how shadowbot works, but here we have a case of stupid console command. Maybe he really wanted to check it?

Lets try to use the law way. He should't prove his innocence. But you have to prove that he is guilty.

Are the argumentations strong enough to leave him banned, or aren't? If aren't let him play and watch him.

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 02:52:50 AM »
At all I don't know how shadowbot works, but here we have a case of stupid console command. Maybe he really wanted to check it?

Lets try to use the law way. He should't prove his innocence. But you have to prove that he is guilty.

Are the argumentations strong enough to leave him banned, or aren't? If aren't let him play and watch him.
We have proof he's guilty, the kick....   I have no sympathy for anyone who is "curious" about cheating in a video game.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 16, 2012, 02:54:37 AM by KiLLaMaN »

« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »
We have proof he's guilty, the kick....

That's the point. But look from other perspective.

He got kicked. Why he got kicked? Because he used console command.

Why he used console command?
a) he wanted to cheat
b) he wanted  to check

If A- have proves expect only kick?
If B- he just wanted to check, that's all. He made mistake and he paid for it.

And now- I don't know what poke is. I play this game since 2004. I've joined the server and wrote poke in console, because I really want to know what is it. I got banned. I came here and I hope to unban me.

The question is- will you unban me? Me like me, like tidididi. All you know is just I wanted to check. Nothing enough. You know me.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #13 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 03:47:23 AM »
If we unban him we will have to unban lots of ppl banned for EditObj/Pokes, anyway isn't because of this that we aren't going to unban him. << I'm Speaking for Myself.

We gotta wait till our lazy busy admins vote/give their opinions about, currently you are loosing:
BANHAMMER United 2 - 0 Unban and let's be Friends Team
Goals of KiLLaMaN 15", Possessed 45"
« Last Edit: Monday, July 16, 2012, 03:49:11 AM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday, July 16, 2012, 03:58:58 AM »
We've had enough unban decisions based on the story the appealing person told. The "oh, he talks really nice, he sounds like mature person, let's unban him" approach is unserious.

Either we allow e.g. 1 warning before ban in case of poke/editobj kicks, or we just ban regardless of what the story is.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager