Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Windows 10 - Assist Won't Launch ArmyOps.exe  (Read 5926 times)

Offline nprblm

• View Profile
  • AA: nprblm
Windows 10 - Assist Won't Launch ArmyOps.exe
« on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 02:08:16 AM »
I'm having a hell of a time trying to get AA to run on Windows 10. I can get it fully installed and even run armyops.exe on it's own but Assist for some reason can't open it and connect to a server. I don't get any error message or anything, it shows it's connecting to the server and everything but the splash image of AA never pops up and armyops.exe never launches.

And then nothing happens. I have full admin privileges and am running the application as administrator.
Any suggestions? Aside from downgrade to Windows 7.

Offline ronski

Re: Windows 10 - Assist Won't Launch ArmyOps.exe
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 03:50:35 AM »
Have you tried to disable your firewall / antivirus? These might work as a blocker for you while they are trying to protect your ass from everything evil. Disable them one at a time to see if they are causing this, if they do then just add an exception to settings where you allow the traffic for Assist.

I assume you are playing from same network and IP than you used to play with Win 7, so it shouldn't be a router issue where certain ports would be blocked which would result as a issue like this.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 04:52:14 AM »
Ore try Right mouse click on icoon and look for running as  windows 7 ore  8 ore xp. So windows 10 can change it for gameplay. I cant tell prisice now sorry i have no exemple right now to say it good. And meaby to run as admin

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 04:59:01 AM »
I have win10 and it doesnt need compatible mode with assist. For troubleshooting do what ronski said. Have you tried to reinstall? What if you re-download assist files and try again.

Offline ronski

« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 05:38:14 AM »
Yea reinstall from new installer is worth of trying since it's fast process. Take backup copies of your armyops.ini and user.ini before deleting the game. Also make sure when you download the new installer .zip package, extract all files to your computer, don't execute the .exe-file from the folder view where all the files of .zip archive are displayed, it only extracts the exe and the other needed files cannot be used during installation process / with installed application

Offline =IHF=^Napalm

« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 05:40:21 AM »
For me it´s working fine, but I canc it and went back to  Wind 7.
Under Win10 I can´t make my brightness higher. It´s quit dark if I played AA on Win10.

Offline ..!..NSS..!..

« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 06:24:36 AM »
Under Win10 I can´t make my brightness higher. It´s quit dark if I played AA on Win10.

Thats interesting , upon my review of windows 10 I had no problems changing screen brightness on the device i tested on.
The religious fingers are for people who have no rational argument left. If the world was supposed have religion it would have been made with it billions of years ago. I won't stop you from living in Fantasyland.

Offline ronski

« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
Thats interesting , upon my review of windows 10 I had no problems changing screen brightness on the device i tested on.
Brightness as a video setting in Game settings, not brightness in general. What ever rows your boat, but changing only the gamma value is the easiest way to set up your visibility in different maps, while brightness and contrast are set to their max

For win 8 there's win 8 gamma in Assist video settings and win 10 should be able to use the same.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »

Should be same way than in win8 to change brightness. Assist video settings - win8 gamma. Then set that gamma to what you would use in map you play most often. In game you can alt tab to desktop, find gamma control in programs next to clock, right click and settings. Then adjust it, and get back to game. That works for me.

Be aware win7 users that free win10 update ends soon, and after just some years win7 will become like winxp - unsupported. I think part of its support has already ended, it only gets security updates.

Offline nprblm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 15:12:24 PM »
I'll try these things when I get back from work and report back my results later. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline nprblm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 16:53:45 PM »
I'll try these things when I get back from work and report back my results later. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ok none of the suggestions worked but I found another fix. Windows 10 default permissions granted are all kinds of fucked up. I had to go in to my c:/ drive and grant ownership of all folders and child folders from the default of TrustedInstaller (wtf is Microsoft thinking?) to Administrators. Didn't touch Windows folder though as it was default of Administrators as it should be. And wtf is Account Unknown?

So far I'm not liking Windows 10 too much, but Windows 7 updates were crapping out on me and with no Service Pack 2 available, I went ahead and upgraded.

Offline ronski

« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 16:59:00 PM »
Cool that you found a solution.

ps: I <3 my mac

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 18:43:47 PM »
Not sure why you had that issue, I've never had a problem like that on Windows 10. The only time I have to grant permission or take ownership is when I read files off of a hard drive pulled from another computer (data recovery/backup). Even then, it's a simple "continue" on the request permissions screen that pops up.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to reinstall and start clean. If your permissions are screwed up, it can cause all kinds of problems down the road.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 21:13:19 PM »
I had this with Win 7 before, with TrustedInstaller taking over most stuff (which it is supposed but, should leave past permissions/access).
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager