Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: How to have game minimized?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline hitman

How to have game minimized?
« on: Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 19:09:10 PM »
Hi, is there any way to join a server (empty) and make the game minimized so I could do something else with the PC? I seem to hijack everything, even the power button doesn't work when the game is launched.

Running Ubuntu 17.04.

Thanks

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
Re: How to have game minimized?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 19:21:21 PM »
play in windowed mode. not sure if it works in linux, but try Alt + Enter to go to windowed mode and Alt + Tab, click else where and then minimize the window. to go back to fullscreen press alt + enter again.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline hitman

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 19:27:41 PM »
Alt + Enter works, thanks, but Alt + Tab does not. Can't click anywhere either. Is there some setting to launch the game minimized? Or stop it from hijacking keyboard?

play in windowed mode. not sure if it works in linux, but try Alt + Enter to go to windowed mode and Alt + Tab, click else where and then minimize the window. to go back to fullscreen press alt + enter again.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 19:42:07 PM by hitman »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 22:37:51 PM »
try either:
Ctrl + G or Ctrl+Alt+G or CTRL+ALT+→ or CTRL+ALT+← or Alt + ESC

:D
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
I've had the same issue in the passed. I've never fixed it. I first thought it was because I was running 25Assist as Super User, but that was not the case as running armyops-bin without without sudo had the same result.

The only key combination I could get to work when I tried it (last year), was Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6 to switch to a command line interface.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline hitman

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks for reminding about tty console. I asked a question on AskUbuntu, please press Upvote! https://askubuntu.com/questions/969100/how-to-force-minimize-an-application-when-keyboard-is-hijacked

I've had the same issue in the passed. I've never fixed it. I first thought it was because I was running 25Assist as Super User, but that was not the case as running armyops-bin without without sudo had the same result.

The only key combination I could get to work when I tried it (last year), was Ctrl+Alt+F1 to Ctrl+Alt+F6 to switch to a command line interface.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 13:20:25 PM »
Try:
Option 1:
Bind it to some shortcut key:
System>>Preferences>>Keyboard Shortcuts
pick a key, as command add:
Code: [Select]
xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize(If you are using Compiz you can set custom keyboard and mouse shortcuts using CCSM (Compiz Config Settings Manager) and the Commands plugin.)

Option 2:
Make a "minimize.sh"
#!/bin/bash
xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize
#if this does not work, use the other command below by removing the "#" and add "#" to the command above.
#xdotool windowminimize $(xdotool getactivewindow)
exec $SHELL
After that use chmod to make this file executable:
sudo chmod 744 minimize.shBind it to some shortcut key:
bash /full/path/to/minimize.sh <edit the correct path
Optional keybinding:
using xbindkeys-config
If you do not have xbindkeys:
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xbindkeys-confighttp://xahlee.info/linux/linux_xbindkeys_tutorial.html
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 14:00:22 PM by Possessed »

Offline hitman

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 14:08:47 PM »
Have not tried it yet, but since non of the shortcuts defined in Keyboard Shortcuts work, wouldn't that mean that I can't actually set a custom shortcut that would not be hijacked? Maybe xbindkeys.

Btw, your answer with xdotools is simplier than the one askubuntu asnwer with getactivewindow, thanks

Try:
Option 1:
Bind it to some shortcut key:
xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize(If you are using Compiz you can set custom keyboard and mouse shortcuts using CCSM (Compiz Config Settings Manager) and the Commands plugin.)

Option 2:
Make a "minimize.sh"
#!/bin/bash
xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize
#if this does not work, use the other command below by removing the "#" and add "#" to the command above.
#xdotool windowminimize $(xdotool getactivewindow)
exec $SHELL
After that use chmod to make this file executable:
sudo chmod 744 minimize.shBind it to some shortcut key:
bash /full/path/to/minimize.sh <edit the correct path
Optional keybinding:
using xbindkeys-config
If you do not have xbindkeys:
sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xbindkeys-confighttp://xahlee.info/linux/linux_xbindkeys_tutorial.html

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager