Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Changing your player name through Assist causes problems  (Read 4401 times)

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

Changing your player name through Assist causes problems
« on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 00:36:42 AM »
I'm getting reports that our clan mates who are changing their AA playernames directly through the Assist client are getting their clan settings on battletracker reset.
Traditionally, we've always told people when they changed their AA playername to change it on battletracker.  That still works, and their clan settings migrate.  Lately though, clan members are changing it through the Assist client.  When that happens, battletracker shows the name change and records stats, but they drop off the clan page - i.e. they have to go into battletracker and redo their clan settings again.  Sometimes we've had people change it on battletracker like we tell them to, then erroneously think they have to change it on Assist and it overwrites their clan settings again.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Changing your player name through Assist causes problems
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 00:39:13 AM »
Interesting report. I'm betting that this is an issue on Battletracker's side, the way they handle the name change. If so, that option may have to be removed from Assist or replaced with a button that takes you to the profile page to change it.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 02:25:58 AM »
I've been aware of this for quite some time now. I believe I've written it somewhere as well, but am not 100% sure.

As for the reason, I don't really know, but I would guess it's some kind of fault in the communication between Assist and Battletracker.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
Looks like the Assist client logs into this page and fills in the form.Value named aaopname witch is shown as AAO - PlayerName, then submits:

http://battletracker.com/index.php?form=TrackerSettings

There is these 2 textboxes that contains the Clan Name and ClanPassword.
Name=r_clanname, id=clanname
Name=r_clanpassword, id=clanpassword

I should be able to collect those 2 and send them with the Name Change request.
But there is more on that page that we reset when we set the username.

The easiest would be as suggested, that the link to rename account in the Assist client goes directly to the page.
So any changes BT admins does to the page(Unlikely, but possible), don't affect us in any way.

So what do you say, would it be ok to point directly to BT for name changes?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 11:27:51 AM by ELiZ »

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 00:42:35 AM »
You mean use the change name button to link to bt instead of form submit?  Sounds safer, if in fact BT is assuming blank values for clan stuff

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 01:19:09 AM »
The only problem then is the disallowed characters and no limitation on name length that BT allows.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 03:29:13 AM »
The only problem then is the disallowed characters and no limitation on name length that BT allows.

True, there have been so complaints about that (from me too). While changing your name on assist it won't warn you that your playername is too long or that it contains "illegal" characters for the game, so when you'll try and log into Assist you"re fucked for  day (untill you change your name again)

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 04:06:40 AM »
True, there have been so complaints about that (from me too). While changing your name on assist it won't warn you that your playername is too long or that it contains "illegal" characters for the game, so when you'll try and log into Assist you"re fucked for  day (untill you change your name again)
I thought it did say when you change it in Assist. Unless you meant to say Battletracker there, because it definitely doesn't warn about anything on BT.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 04:08:43 AM »
to go directly to the page would be a good solution, yes.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
I thought it did say when you change it in Assist. Unless you meant to say Battletracker there, because it definitely doesn't warn about anything on BT.

Honestly I don't remember replying to this, must be the drugs they give me here lol :D

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 10:32:50 AM »
Honestly I don't remember replying to this, must be the drugs they give me here lol :D
You were a druggie before and you're a druggie now :D

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 17:18:49 PM »
So I'll change it in the upcoming(no date set) to go directly to BT instead.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 28, 2014, 17:39:26 PM »
When people click the button, make sure to popup a box saying they can only use x amount of characters and certain characters aren't allowed. Once they hit ok, send them to BT.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Mixk

« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 29, 2014, 03:53:17 AM »
When people click the button, make sure to popup a box saying they can only use x amount of characters and certain characters aren't allowed. Once they hit ok, send them to BT.
LOL Yes let players know there is a twenty character limit. BT doesn't limit them and the way some people get when you tell them they can fix it in twenty four hours, you would swear they were an infant and you swiped the binky right out of their mouth.     :suck: :suck: :suck: :suck:
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager