Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Windows 8 video settings.  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Mixk

Windows 8 video settings.
« on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 21:21:35 PM »
I just started using windows 8 and was told to use f7 and f8 to adjust video so it wasnt so dark. So I got it to where I could see and I got kicked for some cvar violation about settings being out of range. Think it said 1.5  and mine was 1.55. How do I fix this crap?
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Windows 8 video settings.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 10, 2014, 22:39:15 PM »
How do I fix this crap?
Calibrate your monitor and play AA normally.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Mixk

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 00:42:57 AM »
My monitor is the same one been using for 6 years and I was trying to play AA normally. I need a little more to go on than that. If using the games own unaltered and unmodified key configuration is causing this, it would look like it needs to be fixed. I have played AA since day one and have never, ever been kicked for anything to do with the actual game because I use it as it was released. Although where I live I have some of the shittiest internet and got kicked for that alot.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 00:58:11 AM »
I just started using windows 8 and was told to use f7 and f8 to adjust video so it wasnt so dark. So I got it to where I could see and I got kicked for some cvar violation about settings being out of range. Think it said 1.5  and mine was 1.55. How do I fix this crap?
You don't. There's nothing to fix. The gamma setting for America's Army only goes up to 1.5. There's no reason you should need to go higher than what is allowed by the America's Army settings menu. Mess around with brightness too if you can't get your screen bright enough.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 04:38:46 AM »
You don't. There's nothing to fix. The gamma setting for America's Army only goes up to 1.5. There's no reason you should need to go higher than what is allowed by the America's Army settings menu. Mess around with brightness too if you can't get your screen bright enough.
If it only goes to 1.5 how in the hell did I get kicked for 1.55 when I did absolutely nothing but press F7 and F8? Evidently there is something that needs fixed or I would not of gotten kicked for a cvar violation due to this 1.55. I got on server and it was to dark so I checked that windows 8 gama was checked and went back and adjusted the settings with F7 and F8 and it went from to dark to where it was to light so I kept pressing them till I got it to look as close to how it did before in windows 7.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 05:15:55 AM »
it can go to a value of 1.59999 if your value was 1.49999 and you press the keybind to higher it.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 06:13:05 AM »
Then it needs fixed because as I have stated. I did nothing to any of the game files. I just made sure the windows 8 gamma was checked and pressed f7 f8  in game because I was pointed to the thread here. "Topic: Brightness Contrast Gamma Video Settings", which said to try it along with monitor calibration. Therefore there is a bug in the game software that is allowing the settings to go out of the maximum 1.5 .

Offline Ares

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 07:59:36 AM »
Open your graphics card settings. Raise your gamma, brightness and contrast there to the desired level. Done deal.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
Open your graphics card settings. Raise your gamma, brightness and contrast there to the desired level. Done deal.
Yes that should take care of things for the time being. What I was trying to figure out was why and how I got a cvar violation running this game box stock, unaltered, and using the provided in game adjustments.

Offline world-

• View Profile
  • AA: world-
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 18:10:14 PM »
Yes window 8 users have to change settings in the graphics card menu. I think they should make it usable in game for us but whatever, its easy enough to do with the control panel.

Offline Alex

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 18:24:51 PM »
If it only goes to 1.5 how in the hell did I get kicked for 1.55 when I did absolutely nothing but press F7 and F8? Evidently there is something that needs fixed or I would not of gotten kicked for a cvar violation due to this 1.55. I got on server and it was to dark so I checked that windows 8 gama was checked and went back and adjusted the settings with F7 and F8 and it went from to dark to where it was to light so I kept pressing them till I got it to look as close to how it did before in windows 7.
There is no bug. You can go infinitely higher in the ini. The AA settings slider only goes up to 1.5 for a reason, that's only as high as the devs wanted you to play the game at. Your keybinds change the gamma setting in the ini and doesn't go through the settings menu. This means you can go higher and lower than what the settings slider allows. We have a CVAR that makes sure you can't do that.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 20:20:43 PM »
There is no bug. You can go infinitely higher in the ini. The AA settings slider only goes up to 1.5 for a reason, that's only as high as the devs wanted you to play the game at. Your keybinds change the gamma setting in the ini and doesn't go through the settings menu. This means you can go higher and lower than what the settings slider allows. We have a CVAR that makes sure you can't do that.
I have NO key binds and the ini files are irrelevant because I never touched them. AA has had it so you can adjust your video settings in game with the keyboard, which I did, for as long as I can remember and I have never, ever in 12 plus years of playing this game been kicked for any video settings being out of the given range. So yes there is something in the coding, programing or whatever it's called that is messed up. I can remember in 2.85 that you couldn't even get your video settings to maximum
from the keyboard and you would have to go into the settings and move the sliders the last little bit. At least that is what I had to do with original untouched ini files.Yet now with untouched files you can go PAST maximum using your keyboard. 

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 20:28:36 PM »
On windows8 there is a 3:rd part program involved.
GammaControl.exe.

Offline Mixk

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 21:32:57 PM »
On windows8 there is a 3:rd part program involved.
GammaControl.exe.

Yes I knew that you had to add that to help correct the windows 8 video. Is there anyway to incorporate it as so it won't cause the the discrepancy between what AA says the video setting is and what it actually is? I was kicked for 1.55 and am sure that when I used the keys to adjust my video settings that the game said my gamma was .80 .

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager