Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Random game lockups  (Read 9871 times)

Offline Ice.Scream.Man.cc

Random game lockups
« on: Thursday, January 14, 2016, 23:20:43 PM »
Game freezes at random times,  for 30-90 seconds, once or twice in a match, then runs fine for 3-4 matches before doing it again..   Changing video settings makes no difference,  (all on low, all maxed out.)

Running Win7 on an Alienware gaming laptop,  1600x900 resolution. 8gb ram. Vanilla install.

Offline Alex

Re: Random game lockups
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 00:03:59 AM »
So the game is freezing for over a minute sometimes? Does this happen in any other games? Sounds like it could be a GPU or possibly driver issue.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 01:08:18 AM »
If I would have that problem with laptop, I would suspect first overheating issue.

Vacuuming the ventilation holes could help, or using pressured air bottle.

Even better solution with that problem is to open the laptop from the place where the most source of heat/warmth is, probably theres a fan and heatsink which you need to remove for cleaning. Clean also the inside part of the vent next to the fan, often there are stuff like dust and hair that wont come of with vacuumer, as well as the fan needs to be cleaned manually and underpart of the heatsink.

Above helps with most laptop freezing because of overheating cases.

In laptop the components are so close to each other that overheating component may heat components next to it, and this place is the most usual spot causing it.

If that doesnt help, go to buy silicon paste for cpu, open the laptop again and find the cpu which is located under the heatsink, clean off the old paste, apply new, (just a bit, so that the middle square has a thin cover) reapply the heatsink and fan and close the laptop and try again.

If these dont help with the game, the problem is elsewhere even though doing this increases anyway the lifetime of your laptop with couple of years.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 01:34:24 AM »
If I would have that problem with laptop, I would suspect first overheating issue.

Vacuuming the ventilation holes could help, or using pressured air bottle.

Even better solution with that problem is to open the laptop from the place where the most source of heat/warmth is, probably theres a fan and heatsink which you need to remove for cleaning. Clean also the inside part of the vent next to the fan, often there are stuff like dust and hair that wont come of with vacuumer, as well as the fan needs to be cleaned manually and underpart of the heatsink.

Above helps with most laptop freezing because of overheating cases.

In laptop the components are so close to each other that overheating component may heat components next to it, and this place is the most usual spot causing it.

If that doesnt help, go to buy silicon paste for cpu, open the laptop again and find the cpu which is located under the heatsink, clean off the old paste, apply new, (just a bit, so that the middle square has a thin cover) reapply the heatsink and fan and close the laptop and try again.

If these dont help with the game, the problem is elsewhere even though doing this increases anyway the lifetime of your laptop with couple of years.
Wouldn't it make sense to first monitor and check the temperatures before disassembling one's laptop?
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ronski

« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 01:41:35 AM »
When my game freezes on mac, I might get graphics like I'd be on some sort of a drug trip, or screen simply freezes and Wine stops responding. My issue is clearly related to overheating,  but I think these macs aren't designed to be opened just like that. Wouldn't be surprised if every one of these had their computer related specific tool what you'd need to use :D

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 01:51:36 AM »
Could be, for example with SpeedFan.

But I havent seen a laptop without heat problems after some years of use, and Win7 is kind of old OS so probably the laptop has at least some years of age.

I have fixed maybe 12 laptops which were slowing down and freezing, and about 10 had the overheating problem. For others the solution was to restore the Windows to "factory settings".

Laptops are known of overheating problem, and because of that their lifetime for comfortable use  varies often between 3-5 years. Doing what I told increases that time.

Anyway, temperatures can be ok without playing, but during heavy load of cpu and gfx card the temp goes often up. Also fan control makes sure that temp in normal cases stay ok, but with dust etc. Fans are often blowing with fast speeds (or sucking the air out.) Which causes noise and its not good for fan.

Doing what I told is not so hard and time taking anyway.

Just some days ago did it with neighbors 8 years old laptop and it works better. I used to check those temps but not anymore with laptops as they need that management sometimes anyway. And checking temps does not help unless you do it while you play for a while and in the midst of the game you check the temp and listen to the fan speeds same time.

Offline ronski

« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 01:58:42 AM »
As a side note; while I was reading your post I noticed I was reading it with your voice, you know :D

I need to find out how to open this one.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
checking temps does not help unless you do it while you play for a while and in the midst of the game you check the temp and listen to the fan speeds same time.
That's pretty damn obvious to me...
However, if you're not a professional (which I'm guessing the person reporting this is not), opening a laptop and starting to clean it or apply paste or mess with other staff is definitely time consuming and not that easy. I believe checking the temperature (while playing of course, because that's when the thing overheats obviously) would be an easier first step.

With that said, all computers (including laptops) need regular maintenance (the physical kind) anyway, most of the time they just don't get it.

EDIT:
And apples (the ones that don't grow on trees) are notorious for being difficult to open...
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 03:27:47 AM »
The opening part and cleansing is not so difficult and time taking, but I agree that applying the paste can be messy and slow if no experience.. opening is just normal screw opening mostly, cleaning with vacuumer/manually with vacuumer and/or some cotton stuff and toilet paper is not so difficult :) with desktop pc's I did it when I was a kid ^^

« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 19:00:25 PM »
All good ideas, but no,  it's not a temperature issue. 64deg C.  This only happens in 25Assist,  even after running as admin and in Vista compatibility mode.

« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 21:42:04 PM »
As a side note; while I was reading your post I noticed I was reading it with your voice, you know :D

I need to find out how to open this one.

Hahahahaha !   I'd upvote that if I could. .

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 15, 2016, 23:47:59 PM »
All good ideas, but no,  it's not a temperature issue. 64deg C.  This only happens in 25Assist,  even after running as admin and in Vista compatibility mode.
I would still try to update your video cards drivers.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 02:37:26 AM »
Does the laptop also has an integrated Intel graphic chip? And if so, is it running the game on that one?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 03:20:50 AM »
Good question. Maybe some1 will finally answer my old question: "How to make fkn AA run on Nvidia, and not on this intel shit?"?

...you just need to use the nvidia panel and set the executable to run on Nvidia.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 16, 2016, 03:54:51 AM »
No Koden, it's not that simple. I changed all setting possible in this shit. I set default to run on nvidia.

It still runs AA 2.5 on intel. AAPG on nvidia. So it's prollly related to DX version being used.

System specs? Anyway I also had issues with setting Optimus to actually use global settings I chose (it still basically wouldn't), setting the executable to run on Nvidia instead solved things for me.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager