Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Issue with Assist automatically resetting compatability settings  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Leet

Issue with Assist automatically resetting compatability settings
« on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 05:19:24 AM »
So recently, I've been trying to recreate the settings I had previously while playing AA on an older desktop with Windows XP. That is, with all brightness, contrast and gamma set to maximum (which is better than the default settings that Assist gives, I feel).

If I want the graphical setting changes to have any effect in fullscreen, I have to run Armyops.exe as an admin and uncheck the compatability box in properties for the app (which will make it run for Windows XP).

The problem is, AA Assist for whatever reason will reset these changes. It will make ArmyOps run as a regular user and force compatability for Windows 7. If I run ArmyOps by itself, I can change settings to my heart's desire, but of course being required to run ArmyOps through AA Assist causes issues mentioned above. Is there any way to prevent AA Assist from forcing ArmyOps to run for Windows 7 compatability and disallow running it as an admin?

Offline ELiZ

Re: Issue with Assist automatically resetting compatability settings
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »
Not for you as a user, you will have to use other means to have other Gamma and brightness from the rest of us. You might find something in Gfx card settings.

« Last Edit: Monday, January 05, 2015, 05:31:22 AM by ELiZ »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
brightness, contrast and gamma set to maximum (which is better than the default settings that Assist gives, I feel).
This is a joke right?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 13:10:37 PM »
Haha and what a joke

Offline Leet

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 14:37:49 PM »
This is a joke right?

Not a joke at all... have you tried it? A little aggressive for a modpost..

So the way ArmyOps works in Windows 8 apparently I can't take screenshots, so I've taken a pic of my monitor with my settings in E and E. You can see that it pretty much looks like a daytime map... this helps a lot when playing pipeline or other maps that have dark corners. It also doesn't really oversaturate bright areas (even though the picture is obviously only dark, for E and E). I've been using these settings for about six years.

The grenade symbols also do not glow (that's the digital camera's fault)

E and E training with my settings (all maxed).

This is E and E using Assist settings for Windows 8; much harder to see any dark areas without using NVG.

E and E training with Assist settings.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:19:42 PM by Leet »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:33:30 PM »
Assist uses the default America's Army settings. Dark maps are meant to be dark, hence the lack of sunlight. You're not meant to have perfect viewing all the time. You're raising brightness to see better, basically a cheating advantage.

Looking at your screenshots, the default settings is how it's supposed to be. Have a look at this video:

That's intended. Looking at the screenshot of all settings maxed, how could you ever expect to realistically hide in that environment? NVG is there for that reason exactly, to see what you normally can't.

Offline Leet

« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 15:47:08 PM »
Assist uses the default America's Army settings. Dark maps are meant to be dark, hence the lack of sunlight. You're not meant to have perfect viewing all the time. You're raising brightness to see better, basically a cheating advantage.

Looking at your screenshots, the default settings is how it's supposed to be. Have a look at this video:

That's intended. Looking at the screenshot of all settings maxed, how could you ever expect to realistically hide in that environment? NVG is there for that reason exactly, to see what you normally can't.

A cheating advantage? It's built into the game. Further, you do realize there are probably people who play right now who use this, or settings similar (who are not using Windows 8, any other version works) but people on Windows 8 cannot, right? That effectively puts Windows 8 users at a disadvantage, rather than the other way around (which is what you are trying to say).

There is no such thing as preventing a game from being played played 'the way it's meant to be played' by changing settings built into the game around. They're in the game! At what point can you even begin to delineate between "cheating levels" and non-cheating levels of visual acuity settings? The irony of this whole thing is that you guys very mockingly asked if what I wanted to do was a joke at first, now you're calling it a cheating advantage.

Look at the video posted for "how to make an enemy run away" on SF pipeline. He doesn't once need to use NVG even though he's outside. He can see everything because his settings are correct for the map (they are not the default Assist settings). I don't see anyone calling him a cheater.

And you do realize that there is a STICKIED thread of keybinds on one of your forums for changing the settings, right (for different areas, dark outside, light inside etc.)? If you're going to call this cheating, then those are certainly cheating as well. The numpad 1 keybind is so similar to mine (try it out in game) that it virtually makes no difference in what you can see.... except it is different than the settings of AA Assist.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 05, 2015, 16:46:17 PM by Leet »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 16:47:05 PM »
Look at the video posted for "how to make an enemy run away" on SF pipeline. He doesn't once need to use NVG even though he's outside. He can see everything because his settings are correct for the map (they are not the default Assist settings). I don't see anyone calling him a cheater.
In fact there were plenty of people who swore he was cheating. Not because of screen settings, though.

I totally understand what you're trying to say, Spanky, and in principle I kind of agree. However, as he said, it's built in the game and can't really be called a cheating advantage. An advantage none the less.
What definitely could be considered cheating advantages were back in the day when people would do odd stuff with their graphics drivers that sometimes almost eliminated fog (or some other stuff as well of course).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 18:12:23 PM »
When you stop and realize that this game and it's engine was made back when CRT monitors were the domain of many players, you'll realize that's why those settings exist in the first place. A lot of those monitors were very basic and hardly had any adjustability. I had one, it was insanely dark, I had to max settings just to play MOUT McKenna. I have screenshots and they look utterly washed out.

My point is, you don't need to use those settings. The maps were made to be the way they are. They're supposed to be dark, you're supposed to use NVG, it's supposed to be difficult and stressing. Playing it any other way is cheating one way or another. You're either having an advantage over others or you're cheating yourself out of an immersive environment.

Modern LCD monitors are pretty good right out of the box and if you take a couple minutes to calibrate it, you don't need to touch ANY brightness/gamma/contrast settings in ANY game. These game developers have better hardware than you and this is what they do for a living, you think you know better than them?

Fact is, you're using it to gain an advantage, plain and simple. There's no refuting that fact. You're using those to see things better. Just because your car can do 100mph doesn't mean it's right, safe or legal to do so. Just because those settings are in-game doesn't mean you need to use them. So is poke and fastswap glitches and other unfair things. Doesn't mean it's right, doesn't mean you should. That's my point. I know I'm being an asshole and you can totally write my opinions & ideas off as being lunatic but this is exactly why I (and others) don't play this game anymore. Something about this game just brings out the people that feel the need to squeeze every advantage they can and push the envelope. Makes for boring gameplay, truly.

-- Spank Out --

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 05, 2015, 21:55:05 PM »
In a weird twist of fate, installing a new graphics card, I'm having insanely dark images in-game. Didn't happen on my onboard Intel GPU but it does on AMD now. No changes in-game either.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 02:50:44 AM »
Stop double posting you postwhore! :D

And as you said, the reason it's there is to help those with crappy old monitors. However, we have no way of knowing what kind of monitor some player has so no point in restricting this kind of stuff.

I know you disagree, but changing gamma/brightness is and always has been a common practice in this game (and all others) and has always been considered OK.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 06, 2015, 03:08:42 AM »
I know you disagree, but changing gamma/brightness is and always has been a common practice in this game (and all others) and has always been considered OK.
I do but I live with it. Most players seem to exploit, glitch, whore or tweak so it all fits right in :)

I don't know what the answer is for Windows 8. I tried the gamma setting in Assist, that's way too bright & washed out.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager