Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2.5 faster on old xp machine than Win 8?  (Read 4858 times)

Offline SamDaMan

AA2.5 faster on old xp machine than Win 8?
« on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 17:15:33 PM »
So, I just got back into AA (Assist) a month or so ago. Using a junky old laptop (Hp Pavilion dv4000 Pentium M 725\512 DDR2 RAM 64 MB onboard Intel Graphics) and the best I could get was max 30 fps. Not very helpful in an FPS.  A friend gave me a Toshiba (C855D-S5100 dual core, 4Ghz ram, windows 8 64bit and dedicated HD ATI graphicssomething like 512Mb onboard) with a busted screen.  So out comes the desktop monitor.  Now, AA is luckyto run 22-25 FPS and gets down to around 10 when running or in a firefight. Its a nearly new laptop because it was in a closet for like 6 months after screen cracked, ran 2 different antivirus program scans, hardly any programs (apps) installed aside from what came on it from the factory. How can this be? And yes I turn ALL the graphics options to lowest, including 800x600 instead of the 1900x*** it starts in. Any ideas? Something Im just unaware of about Windows 8 or a 64 bit OS? Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: AA2.5 faster on old xp machine than Win 8?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 17:24:16 PM »
It might be that windows 8 is bad for gaming (I don't know).

The first thing you might try would be to update your graphics drivers.

An other thing you have to keep in mind is that AA only runs on one core. So having 2 would not really help.

I found a version of the described laptop:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C855D-S5100-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00B0KQPCG
If this is what you have, I'd say your CPU is the problem.

But then again, I'm not an expert.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline SamDaMan

« Reply #2 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 17:47:57 PM »
Thats the one. So, since AA only runs on one core, it would make sense that a single core could do it better or as well. Well, at least it was free and it does other stuff really well. Disappointed though lol. Thanks for the help, and man that was a fast reply. Can't wait to get my frame rate back up though. My fraGrate is suffering so bad. Given your info, I got an old p4 around 2.8Ghz, 3Ghz of ram, and an old geforce fx 5200 that sound like they will do better than both. I used to run up to 2.8.5 on that old card and a P4....... u the man grizz.And thanks for all you do for the Assist community. I'll post an update for y'all if you're interested. I can probably slap it together by this evening.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 17, 2014, 17:49:31 PM by SamDaMan »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Monday, March 17, 2014, 17:51:52 PM »
The new laptop has an AMD dual core running at 1.3GHz. The old one has an Intel single core running at 1.6GHz.

Even though the AMD is newer and likely more efficient, the Intel probably runs faster in single-threaded applications. That's where you're seeing the difference.

The P4 around 2.8GHz should do better than the two laptops. The FX5200 is questionable though. I used to play on one ages ago and you'd do real good if you could update that to a 6000 series or 7000 series (PCI-E).
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 14:27:39 PM »
aa2 runs bad even on new machines, i have like 300 fps in csgo and 90-120 on aa2, bad optimization

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 15:09:04 PM »
aa2 runs bad even on new machines, i have like 300 fps in csgo and 90-120 on aa2, bad optimization
Why the hell does it really matter whether you get 90 or 300 fps? You can't really tell the difference between them, I promise you. Plus, most screens don't do more than 75 frames per second anyway.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline RealHarm

« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 21, 2014, 16:02:09 PM »

I dont understand why but aa servers lock their players to max 90fps. If you open the same map in 'singleplayer' you get much higher fps! But i agree with teddy, much fps higher than your refreshrate is pretty useless.

PS. you can try changing MaxClientFrameRate=90.000000 in the ini file?

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 05:09:51 AM »
Why the hell does it really matter whether you get 90 or 300 fps? You can't really tell the difference between them, I promise you. Plus, most screens don't do more than 75 frames per second anyway.
maybe because i have 120hz monitor? and in some areas/situations fps drops to 50

Offline Bart!

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
maybe because i have 120hz monitor? and in some areas/situations fps drops to 50
Exactly, I don't have a high hz monitor, but I do know people who does have those, and it does make a difference for them.

For me >60 is always good, but main importance is that fps remains stable, I'd rather have a stable 50-60 fps compared with fluctuations between 50 and 90

Offline Ganja

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »
Sometimes I dream about 30 FPS ..

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 08:55:58 AM »
i have fps like 90 very often (except standing in smoke or thins like that). all set to highest possible at graphics settings, nothing special.
don't know the problem you have and no idea how to fix that.

Offline nevertalks

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
Don't take my advice the bad way but if you want a stable fps go linux with such a crappy computer.

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 13:20:40 PM »
playing on linux will make your fps double bad

Offline nevertalks

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 16:43:17 PM »
I noticed when playing on linux for a while with a laptop that indeed your FPS will drop however it was extremely stable for me.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager