309 (12.3%)
Desktop Mac
582 (23.1%)
Dedicated Windows
4 (0.2%)
Dedicated Linux
6 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: What flavour of the Assist Server Software are you using  (Read 2687 times)

Offline ELiZ

What flavour of the Assist Server Software are you using
« on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 22:32:17 PM »
Hi.

General question to all Assist server owners.
And if possible, why?

For instance:
My server provider forces us to use version X.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

Re: What flavour of the Assist Server Software are you using
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 03, 2013, 04:19:00 AM »
none, we have set all the game instances to be run under tcadmin2 as windows service.

game has downloaded through desktop windows and modified with windows server to be suitable to run under tca2, ease of download/setup process is the key, why this was done like it is. will be propably using this method to patch server(s) in future, if stand alone patch files is not available.
Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

http://www.game42.com/images/game42_sigu.jpg[/img][/url]

Offline tcsgenphoenix

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 03:43:14 AM »
I went for the Linux version, primarily cause of financing. it's just simply cheaper and in my opinion faster than most windows dedi servers.. Plus having had more experiences with linux, its just easier with a more direct gui interface.

Just gotta work out the kinks in the programming from server-side is all, particularly with mods.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »
none, we have set all the game instances to be run under tcadmin2 as windows service.

game has downloaded through desktop windows and modified with windows server to be suitable to run under tca2, ease of download/setup process is the key, why this was done like it is. will be propably using this method to patch server(s) in future, if stand alone patch files is not available.

I've tried explaning that if you choose to things outside of Assist's Control you'll hit a brick wall sooner or later.

For instance:
There is a function inside both Assist Client and Assist Dedicated server that update some files on the fly if we choose to update them, when we do, all clients will get the new files, but not your server since it hasn't updated the files. And the clients wont be able to connect to your server(s).

It might be me that missunderstanding you, but the solution to the update problem is that you run server.exe(Assist version, with the game's server.exe renamed as serverx.exe). that way Assist hase the control of the serverfiles.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 05:07:33 AM »
Don't get me wrong, we appreciate active server owners, and are willing to work on the Assist Codebase to improve it so that server owners have greater control.

Are there any specific settings you want to be controlled by your settings?

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 13:20:13 PM »
yeah to clarify, im using server.exe which has been downloaded by aa25 assist. didnt see any reason to start hassling with old "non working" one, cause thats not the right path. only thing what i was wondering for the future is restriction with tca2 to be able to patch server(s) when there is something fixed.

what should be modified in the serverside are tickrate, netspeed(s), cache memory and hud settings, at least those, because original UE2 has very limited netspeed (only 8kb/player) which is way under dialup speeds to move all game data. also original netserver tick 25 is low, unless hardware is VERY low end crap. also because memory was very precious in 2002 cache is set to 64mb which is nowadays a good joke ;) this last one is amount of usable cache memory for reloading skins/map stuff/etc and IF its not high enough, server instance constantly swaps this information from hdd and causes "freezing" for gamers, as well with limited netspeeds and tick it is one of the biggest reasons for micro lag (stutter) while playing. can post smallish tut how to pimp up stuff a bit, to make game run a bit better :)
Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 13:39:18 PM »
since the last update players can change their own netspeed up to 80000( if the server allow ofc), serve side netspeed is "MaxClientRate" field; also they can change their own net tickrate up to 128, I'm not sure if client side tickrate make any effects;
about CacheSize, ppl say that its not good to set it above 128 or 256 dunno, 128 should be more than enough for servers IMO, HUD settings you can change with F12(I may be wrong) but all those settings can be edited through the "server.ini" :)

well, you can post some server tweaks tutorial, should help to improve general gameplay if server owners start to use them.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 14:12:42 PM »
done :)

http://aao25.com/general-server-discussions/pimping-up-server/

also there is given real explanations why something should be "as they were" in the original, lots to read and some things are boring, but you guys asked ;)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager