Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Hosting an AA server on a Windows 8.1 tablet  (Read 3488 times)

Offline The Mentalist

Hosting an AA server on a Windows 8.1 tablet
« on: Saturday, April 25, 2015, 18:41:04 PM »
I just placed an order for this device:

HP Stream 7 Tablet
Windows 8.1 32bit
Intel® Atom® Z3735G with Intel HD Graphics (1.8 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)
1 GB DDR3L SDRAM
32GB SSD ( 130MB/s read, 70MB/s write )
7" diagonal HD WVA IPS multitouch-enabled (1280 x 800)

It was now on sale for only 79 euro's ( office 365 + cover for the tablet included ).

I hope it can run the AA server smooth. It would be cool to have it run an AA server and to use it as a picture frame. I'm going to use it that way because the tablet goes in to sleep mode when the screen isn't displaying anything. And to run the server, the screen has to stay on.

I will let you guys know how it plays out.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting an AA server on a Windows 8.1 tablet
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 25, 2015, 18:59:06 PM »
I guess you could use that tablet to play AA2 aswell (if it had some sort of video output to an external screen). I'm guessing you can use a wireless keyboard and mice with it, maybe? (if you ever wanted to).

It's interesting to see they've started using Intel cpus on tablets and smartphones, makes for experiments like that.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 25, 2015, 19:03:34 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 00:14:31 AM »
Memory is lacking but it should work.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 01:42:54 AM »
Should definitely work, only lacking factor I could see is possibly the home based internet connection that will be behind it.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 01:43:57 AM »
Should definitely work, only lacking factor I could see is possibly the home based internet connection that will be behind it.
Also, seeing as it's a tablet, it'll probably be wireless which will definitely be a bottleneck.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 01:45:52 AM »
Also, seeing as it's a tablet, it'll probably be wireless which will definitely be a bottleneck.

+1

Offline CS-ACI-

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 02:36:46 AM »
Hello,

The next question is, could you host from a Windows Phone 8.1?

I am currently thinking buying a Windoze phone for fun, not considering running a server though.

Steve

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
this will maybe work to start a server, but not for playing because it will be laggy as hell.

but why do you want to host a server on a table i do ask myself?
must be something wrong with that wish :D

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
We'll see how laggy it will be once I do some optimizing on it.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 26, 2015, 14:43:53 PM »
You can do reverse usb tethering (route pc Internet to the tablet with a usb cable). but i have an android device, so idk how you can do this on w8.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 01, 2015, 22:40:56 PM »
So I got my tablet today.
The first run was not so good. Huge lag spikes.
I had the cachemegsize set to big but the tablet only had 1GB RAM so that could be the cause.

Then I disabled about 10-15 windows services like windows defender, windows indexing, etc... and set the cachemegsize to 250MB. I also changed the service-priority to "very low" in the windows task manager.

The 2nd run went much better. We played with 4 players on it. Pings were fine and no lag.

Now, the most suprising fact is, this tablet consumes about 2-4watts with the AA server running. I think that might be the most power efficient AA server there is :)

Tomorrow:
- I'm going to search for a way to keep the server running with the tablet screen turned off ( to reduce power consumption eaven more ) I will probably have to disable connected standby to enable all power options ( like you have on laptops ).
- I'm going to continue disabling windows services to reduce RAM usesage by services I don't need.

The server name tomorrow will be "Hosted on a tablet! - Mapvote"
You will be able to find it very fast if you order the serverlist by countryflag.
The server is located in Belgium.

Please test it and share your experience :) Thanks Vanoke and SWISS clan for testing last night.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 02, 2015, 00:26:26 AM »
Don't set the priority to very low, it will mean EVERYTHING else on the computer will take priority. Set the AA server process to above normal.

As far as modifying services, check out BlackViper, he's got good registry tweaks. Then you can also run CCleaner and uninstall the factory bloatware and startup items.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 02, 2015, 03:28:33 AM »
Don't set the priority to very low, it will mean EVERYTHING else on the computer will take priority. Set the AA server process to above normal.

As far as modifying services, check out BlackViper, he's got good registry tweaks. Then you can also run CCleaner and uninstall the factory bloatware and startup items.

Thanks for the tip. There is no bloatware on the talbet. Probably because it's sold via the Microsoft store. It's 100% clean.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 02, 2015, 04:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip. There is no bloatware on the talbet. Probably because it's sold via the Microsoft store. It's 100% clean.
While I'm not familiar with Microsoft store, I'd be willing to bet it has a bunch of stuff installed that you don't really need. Especially since it had Windows installed beforehand. Usually these things are not that big on their own, but they do stack up.

It seems to me that the manufacturers are trying to "add value" to the less expensive stuff by adding apps nobody ever uses.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 02, 2015, 08:05:12 AM »
and then, everyone with a tablet will try to run a server on it.
will be nice to sort them out not running there - to have the good performance ones to play on.

still I don't know why you are trying this to do - what's the point about that?

and as a hint - running your tablet with more then 10 players on it for more then 10 hours - goodbye tablet - not made for running hot around all the day. but it's a try to see how long it will work :)

good luck

btw: the most expensive server out there - for this you got a medal for sure :D

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager