Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Welcome back to AAO25.com  (Read 16208 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Welcome back to AAO25.com
« on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 00:12:51 AM »
I just want to say a few things to everybody coming back. First and foremost, no more discussion of the last Assist version. It's been talked to death on here, Battletracker and the official AA forums. AAO25.com was not re-opened to discuss what happened, it was re-opened to discuss the future of this game for those that wish to continue playing it.

With that said, I want to dispel any conspiracy theories and give you some hard information on what's going on:
- None of the other developers, including myself, work for any governmental agency.
- The only personal data ever used/harvested by Assist is the username, email address and password that you choose to enter into the program and/or into Battletracker. This information has never been shared with anyone for any reason outside the developers. Passwords are stored on the Auth server with a special SHA-1 encryption that includes a salting method.
- Assist was not shut down to "hide evidence". It was shut down to avoid abuse of the system and to prevent any  non-relevant personal user data from being harvested.
- It's taken so long to bring back AAO25 and Assist because we have been discussing the best way to bring it back in a way that regains trust and ensures confidence in our users. Without you, our work is pointless. We didn't want to simply go back on the last update and let things go back to normal. We are fundamentally changing various features in Assist as well as introducing a TOS agreement that tells you, the user, what Assist is and what it does.
- Jonny has retired completely from the project. We all appreciate the work he's put into this program over the last 5+ years and he will be missed. He wished for me to post a public statement  when this site came back online:

The latest version of assist (7.47) included a new anti-cheat feature that allowed us to search peoples computers for cheats or hacks, This was done via an authenticated connection to the authorisation server. When you downloaded 2.5Assist from our site it was on the understanding that it was an installation and management client for AA2.5, I believe that this gave us a mandate to access and modify files on your computer that are directly related to AA2.5 and extended this definition to include cheats/hacks that are specifically designed for use with AA2.5
Unfortunately this new anti-cheat feature was rushed and not properly thought through and contained serious security flaws that meant it could have potentially been used to access files that were not directly related to AA2.5. I am not a professional software developer and only do this as a hobby for free, as such I have no qualifications for this type of work and was bound to make a serious mistake like this sooner or later.
I want to assure the whole Assist community that this latest feature was only live for less than a week and was only ever used on a very small group of know cheaters, Where it was used I am 100% certain that no files that were not related to AA2.5 were accessed and I am 100% certain that no personal information or data or anything else not relating to assist has been compromised.
I soon as I came to realised what a security/privacy threat this could have become I acted immediately to shutdown the system to prevent it being abused and removed the authorisation server making it impossible for this feature to be used again by anybody.
There has been talk of Trojans, spyware and backdoors being used but this is not the case, This was simply a function built into the assist client that could only be accessed via an authenticated connection to the Assist authorisation server. With the auth server now gone this security flaw is now completely removed and unusable to I can assure all of you are perfectly safe now.
When our server hosting company found out about this they did not want to have anything to do with us anymore so the AAO25.com forum was taken down, Some of the admin team are now working to get the site back up so they can discuss a way forward with the community.
I however will no longer be involved in this project, I have made a mistake and have lost the trust of the community, I no longer trust myself to develop software and will not being working on anymore projects in the future.
Some of the other admins have expressed an interest in removing said features from assist and continuing the project but that is up to them and community to decide.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 13, 2013, 00:41:52 AM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline SilverBallz

Re: Welcome back to AAO25.com
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:19:30 AM »
I think your all CIA!!!  :makemyday:

Now what can I do to help?

One for all, all for One
For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. - 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 (NASB)

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »
I think your all CIA!!!  :makemyday:

I added that in just for you :) Rapture told me about it. I had a good laugh.

Offline SilverBallz

« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »
 :D

You mentioned something about a poll? Will our options be posted soon?

One for all, all for One
For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. - 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 (NASB)

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:26:50 AM »
I think a poll would be best once we can demonstrate Assist running. It's not one of the things we discussed in the temporary admin forum though.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »
if I worked for NSA I would be slaying my own country since NSA has been spying our Citizens, our President and one of the biggest oil producers in the world :D

btw as american citizens, you guys should not Mention: CIA, NSA, TERRORISM, BOMB, OSAMA, JIHAD :P
prepare to be tracked and interrogated rofl.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:33:22 AM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline SilverBallz

« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:34:31 AM »
Ya Spanky's trying to break down my door right now!

One for all, all for One

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »
Ya Spanky's trying to break down my door right now!
That's what she said?
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:36:50 AM »
That's what she said?

Only if it's the back door...

We're all excited AAO25 is back but let's try to keep this on topic guys :)

Offline SilverBallz

« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »
Very excited indeed!

What are the chances of Assist ever becoming open source?

One for all, all for One

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
Only if it's the back door...

We're all excited AAO25 is back but let's try to keep this on topic guys :)
speaking of this, hope we get Assist back asap and then we can have the Custom meshes thing :D
We wan't to delivery something great to our players :)

Open Source, well, lots of pp have joined the project since it started but, there are core things that can't be public as the Auth system mech etc. but anyone capable can help;
« Last Edit: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:42:18 AM by Possessed »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 02:48:45 AM »
I brought the Open Source idea up briefly and it's a double-edged sword. I think it's best not to right now because there's not many players. If there were more players that could contribute coding abilities, then the community could work towards making Assist more secure instead of just a couple of us. But, if we go Open Source and nobody else helps out with coding and security, we've just become completely vulnerable to those with more time/knowledge/creativity.

Offline SilverBallz

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 03:22:00 AM »
It's not one of the things we discussed in the temporary admin forum though.

So far sounds like things are on the right track. Would you have time to explain a quick summery as to what has been discussed?

I've finally accepted the fact it is not a good idea for servers to track modded servers. With that being said is there anyway the weapon picker mod can be integrated into Assist? Or at least an updated forceclass script?

One for all, all for One

Offline Mike Mentzer

• don't change old maps!! Give noobs not a chance!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 04:03:00 AM »
So far sounds like things are on the right track. Would you have time to explain a quick summery as to what has been discussed?

I've finally accepted the fact it is not a good idea for servers to track modded servers. With that being said is there anyway the weapon picker mod can be integrated into Assist? Or at least an updated forceclass script?

The game is still offline and you start talking about mods,Skripts and stuff..! LoL
Admins should only keep working on the auth-system asap, to avoid losing players/game!

BTW the solution like befor is for me and the community perfect to Keeper the game origin and smart as well. Who like mods just leave and play Garry's Mod!!!
Nice some Ass licking around   ((_) :censored: D :P (_o_) :P

Offline alechko1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 04:16:32 AM »
Johnny has retired completely... Only until the next time.  How many times each one of you guys have retired competely only to bcome back again later?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager