Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Connection/provider issues - high latency and jitter  (Read 26970 times)

Offline ..!..NSS..!..

Connection/provider issues - high latency and jitter
« on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
 :rtfm:
« Last Edit: Monday, July 25, 2016, 05:59:24 AM by ..!..NSS..!.. »
The religious fingers are for people who have no rational argument left. If the world was supposed have religion it would have been made with it billions of years ago. I won't stop you from living in Fantasyland.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Connection/provider issues - high latency and jitter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
Where was the server from the first test located? You can also try the tracert command through the Windows command prompt to check which routes does the data take. (e.g. "tracert 1.2.3.4" without the brackets, where the numbers are the ping you want to test for).
Sometimes routing to certain area take longer.

P.s. aside of the first test, which results are clearly due to a server being too far away from your location to be suitable for playing, even the results from the latest one are a bit odd, a ping around 55ms with a jitter of 25ms is almost funny, you basically ping, lets say,10 + a variable amount that looks like near 5.

I actually happened to use a really old modem/router than once overheating would make for this kind of issues.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 11:22:04 AM by Koden »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 12:25:35 PM »
I have used the tracert command many times and found it is not on my immediate ISP but other comanies. Only so much I can do from my end without getting technicians involved to fix their own problems on any network involved. To anwser your question finally , the first test was the closest available test server on pingtest which is about 100 miles from my current location.
I can be getting a very high ping and yet my web browser will still perform decent most of the time.
It will only effect real-time gaming software. I have run checks to the router but I can only do so much as I am locked out by the ISP tech who has programmed it.
Heck, which provider is that? I hope its not Comcast, I've heard dreadful stories about them. Anyway, does their modem perform more or less the same when "hot" compared to when its started up? Even within the overall erratic net test results you get, I mean...

I meant to ask you to check a couple game servers ip to see which amount of oddities you might come up with. Indeed, web browsing isn't going to be harmed in a noticeable way even if your connection gives back results like that.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 14:18:08 PM »
Lol, well...I honestly thought you were using a cable adsl connection (would have been a terrible one at that!) Mobile connections, even in 4g, are not really suitable for playing. Maybe US providers offer better services overall, at least compared to the European ones, but especially if you're playing in a place that isn't close to a town, you're gonna really see that latency going wild! Although I wouldn't have expected to see so much jitter (even on 4g). I don't have an hard time believing the signal must be somewhat bad.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 16:20:57 PM »
I used 3g years ago, it sucks to play games, high latency, unstable, doesn't work in rainy days. packetloss and so on...
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 16:24:37 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 16:32:43 PM »
I wouldn't recommend anyone to play over mobile Internet. The latency will vary greatly as described above.

Furthermore, even WiFi signals can be pretty bad for gaming. Especially if you're not too close to the router.

For best performance, you should have a cable come to your house and a cable going to your PC.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 16:37:52 PM »
When I used 3g, I had to leave a program open, for it to keep the connection at HSPA which is faster, when the modem is idle it goes to another mode with HIGHER latency (around 1000ms).

HSPA Locker: https://plus.google.com/101360878459310984558/posts/Vy1ReEH4qMo
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 02:04:45 AM »
Can't beat copper.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 02:31:24 AM »
Can't beat copper.

Aren't you actually hosting a provider antenna to further extend signal ? At least thats what ive read in some old posts over here.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 03:42:51 AM »
Can't beat copper.
I raise you optical fiber. :D

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 04:34:24 AM »
Weeeee Max! Ok, maybe not ._.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
Aren't you actually hosting a provider antenna to further extend signal ? At least thats what ive read in some old posts over here.
Whoops.

Seriously though, I just agreed to let them do it, I didn't actually set it up. I'm more leasing a tiny part of my land to let them broadcast Internet in exchange for free Internet. I wish there was better but there isn't. I'm too far from the substation for DSL and the phone lines suck so bad that they can barely support dial-up. They suck so bad that they're just run along the side of the road, not even buried. Can't even get caller ID. There's certainly no cable either. Fiber optic exists but it's on the other side of the state line and there's no way in hell they'd split it off to run to so few people. My only other option is satellite which in ways is more miserable than dial-up.

Wait, do I live in America? This sounds like a serious 3rd world post...

Would be nice but it has it's own complications. Plus that's still a distribution. I was more making a point like Koden in that you want to run cabled inside the home, rather than use WiFi.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
Make Murica Great Again!

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
Whoops.

Seriously though, I just agreed to let them do it, I didn't actually set it up. I'm more leasing a tiny part of my land to let them broadcast Internet in exchange for free Internet. I wish there was better but there isn't. I'm too far from the substation for DSL and the phone lines suck so bad that they can barely support dial-up. They suck so bad that they're just run along the side of the road, not even buried. Can't even get caller ID. There's certainly no cable either. Fiber optic exists but it's on the other side of the state line and there's no way in hell they'd split it off to run to so few people. My only other option is satellite which in ways is more miserable than dial-up.

Would be nice but it has it's own complications. Plus that's still a distribution. I was more making a point like Koden in that you want to run cabled inside the home, rather than use WiFi.
Yeah, its not even a "3rd world" theme anyway, its just a practical matter, you just can't get cable across areas where almost no one lives, both for economical and for "sense" reasons. Running wire inside your home its fine if you want a pretty much perfect state of things (or either want to minimize latency on your side), I personally almost always used Wi-Fi with a good modem, and it has been a decent experience (with a dlink router). There are also powerline adapters that basically let data run through the electric wiring of your house, but of course they make up with issues that, well, are part of their nature ^^ even Wi-Fi probably works better than them most of the time.
Make Murica Great Again!
Heck, give Trump some time, right? Then it's gonna be HUUUGE :D .

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 13:35:50 PM »
Whoops.

You beat me to it.  I was going to tell you to move out your third word country...
MURICA!!!

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager