Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Hardware update gone wrong: status fixed and running r6 Siege!  (Read 20496 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Hardware update gone wrong: status fixed and running r6 Siege!
« on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
Well, I had a pesky Nvidia gtx 660 getting dusty in a corner, so I felt like swapping the old 9600gt I had in a desktop pc build with it (also swapped a ram module while I was at it). Mind you,  both the ram and the card are working (they come from another rig). Swapped the hardware, booted up the pc...booted up fine, but once the Windows loading screen appears, I get a BSOD (and it also flashes out damn quick).
I tried swapping back to the older hardware it used to run with, but nothing. It just does the same thing. Also tried to clear the CMOS (admittedly wouldn't work if its a bsod, I guess).

So, I got no clue -_-' I was worried drivers could create issues but I never had issues like this, if that is the case (besides, both the new and the old one are Nvidia cards).

P.s. system specs:
Intel g1620 (yap, don't ask)
Asus h61m-k mainboard
Antec psu (380watts one, I guess its an Earthwatts model)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:04:14 AM by Koden »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
Re: Hardware update gone wrong: status fixed and running r6 Siege!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »
Well, I had a pesky Nvidia gtx 660 getting dusty in a corner, so I felt like swapping the old 9600gt I had in a desktop pc build with it (also swapped a ram module while I was at it). Mind you,  both the ram and the card are working (they come from another rig). Swapped the hardware, booted up the pc...booted up fine, but once the Windows loading screen appears, I get a BSOD (and it also flashes out damn quick).
I tried swapping back to the older hardware it used to run with, but nothing. It just does the same thing. Also tried to clear the CMOS (admittedly wouldn't work if its a bsod, I guess).

So, I got no clue -_-' I was worried drivers could create issues but I never had issues like this, if that is the case (besides, both the new and the old one are Nvidia cards).
Press F8 before windows load, when a "-" blinks in the upper left corner.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
Press F8 before windows load, when a "-" blinks in the upper left corner.
Doesn't that just shows the start up options? I've already tried the default windows start up and repair tho, and it's not able the fix the issue (whatever issue that is).

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:10:53 AM »
Doesn't that just shows the start up options? I've already tried the default windows start up and repair tho, and it's not able the fix the issue (whatever issue that is).
Can you get into SAFE MODE?
Try to pass a white eraser in the RAM and GPU contacts, re plug PSU cables.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:13:40 AM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »
Can you get into SAFE MODE?
Try to pass a white eraser in the RAM and GPU contacts, re plug PSU cables.
I tried to start it on safe mode, but it requires the startup repair which doesn't get through. About the eraser, I get what you mean, but the hardware was working fine before, why would they stop or make for issues all of a sudden just because of a swap?

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »
I tried to start it on safe mode, but it requires the startup repair which doesn't get through. About the eraser, I get what you mean, but the hardware was working fine before, why would they stop or make for issues all of a sudden just because of a swap?
Shit happens ^^, can you get an Ubuntu or any other live cd/usb? if the system starts, then your PC should be fine. But try unplugging all the stuff from the mobo, clean and re install it, sometimes it is just how you placed the stuff, even if you have did it correctly.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Shit happens ^^, can you get an Ubuntu or any other live cd/usb? if the system starts, then your PC should be fine. But try unplugging all the stuff from the mobo, clean and re install it.
Well I have Ubuntu on another partition, I tried to fire it up and what I get is an mbr error...which probably means the mbr is corrupted. I guess I'll have a fun time looking around for the windows installation disk to launch a repair command from it...

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 09:53:59 AM »
Well I have Ubuntu on another partition, I tried to fire it up and what I get is an mbr error...which probably means the mbr is corrupted. I guess I'll have a fun time looking around for the windows installation disk to launch a repair command from it...
You are So lucky, corrupted MBR because of  a BSOD :) You can always download an ISO and run it from a USB drive as well.
https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 11:44:50 AM »
If you have earlier windows than 8, F8 brings up startup menu IF it works until that. Then go to safe mode command prompt, type in bootrec /fixmbr. It should fix mbr problems. You can also do bootrec /fixboot and sfc /scannow.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
Put your old hardware back in first. Does it work? If yes, then run this:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Remove any drivers, shut off the computer, swap parts and try again.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to repair the Windows installation. Without messing with command prompt, you can usually get away with a system restore from a Windows installation disc/thumb drive. If you need an installation disc, I'd suggest torrenting one, preferably a MSFL version. That will be a pure install, straight from Microsoft. There's no problem downloading it. It's only illegal if you install it with an already used serial key or bypass the activation. You're just using it for repair.

I'd almost wager that the issue lies in the memory you swapped over. Perhaps the timing/speed is different between the two computers. Resetting the BIOS might fix it but in some cases not, it may not be running at the speed/timing/voltage it needs to. I've personally swapped Nvidia graphics cards in and out of different models and didn't have an issue. The "proper" way is to clean the old drivers out first and do a clean install on the new drivers from Nvidia, not the manufacturer.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
Put your old hardware back in first. Does it work? If yes, then run this:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Remove any drivers, shut off the computer, swap parts and try again.

If that doesn't work then you'll have to repair the Windows installation. Without messing with command prompt, you can usually get away with a system restore from a Windows installation disc/thumb drive. If you need an installation disc, I'd suggest torrenting one, preferably a MSFL version. That will be a pure install, straight from Microsoft. There's no problem downloading it. It's only illegal if you install it with an already used serial key or bypass the activation. You're just using it for repair.

I'd almost wager that the issue lies in the memory you swapped over. Perhaps the timing/speed is different between the two computers. Resetting the BIOS might fix it but in some cases not, it may not be running at the speed/timing/voltage it needs to. I've personally swapped Nvidia graphics cards in and out of different models and didn't have an issue. The "proper" way is to clean the old drivers out first and do a clean install on the new drivers from Nvidia, not the manufacturer.
As I wrote above, putting back the older hardware didn't work. Ill have to try with a system restore from the installation disk. I still wonder what was wrong with the ram module (cause the card is perfectly fine) to make for a bsod...can't believe the motherboard is that picky.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
So could you get to safe mode cmd? You should try what I told, it is safe and saved many situations with mbr problems. Gfx driver could be that it needs to be uninstalled, as corrupt ones can cause bsod.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »
Try to recover the MBR/bott sector first, better than overwriting all Windows updates ^^, Sometimes mobos are pricky.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
As I wrote above, putting back the older hardware didn't work. Ill have to try with a system restore from the installation disk. I still wonder what was wrong with the ram module (cause the card is perfectly fine) to make for a bsod...can't believe the motherboard is that picky.

That's what I get for not having my morning coffee yet.

Restore is likely your best bet without having to get all technical and nerdy in the command prompt. Start simple, work up from there.

It's hard to know exactly what happened without knowing what the BSOD is.

I recently had a laptop that got totally fucked over by a virus, destroyed the BCD and hard drive partitions. I finally pulled the STOP code out of the BSOD and researched for a while until I came across this lengthy fix:
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/stop-error-0x0000007b-0xfffff880009a98e8-0xffffffffc000000d-0x0000000000000000-0x0000000000000000/
That took care of it. Hopefully you don't have to go that far :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 13:05:18 PM »
That's what I get for not having my morning coffee yet.

Restore is likely your best bet without having to get all technical and nerdy in the command prompt. Start simple, work up from there.

It's hard to know exactly what happened without knowing what the BSOD is.

I recently had a laptop that got totally fucked over by a virus, destroyed the BCD and hard drive partitions. I finally pulled the STOP code out of the BSOD and researched for a while until I came across this lengthy fix:
http://triplescomputers.com/blog/casestudies/stop-error-0x0000007b-0xfffff880009a98e8-0xffffffffc000000d-0x0000000000000000-0x0000000000000000/
That took care of it. Hopefully you don't have to go that far :)

Im repeating myself, but I still recommend to give a try to cmd :)

Its not tricky and it doesnt need technician to do it, if you know the simple commands. I wrote three commands that he should try, theres no danger with them. It either fixes mbr and boot sector or not, and then scans for corrupted system files and tries to fix them. Its quicker and more simple than full recover. Done it dozens of times.

Bcd can sometimes be more tricky, but not much that either.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager