Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Gaming Headsets & Quality  (Read 35066 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Gaming Headsets & Quality
« on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
*Split Topic*
Not enough money for headphones to be honest and it's quite a bit different than a PVR :)
« Last Edit: Monday, June 28, 2010, 16:27:05 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

cotton

Re: Post Your Desk!
« Reply #1 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Lol.  It just looked like one to me.  And I just want some Turtlebeaches.  They look pro.  The PX21 or whatever they are.  The knew ones that are sold out within an hour of being restocked..  I swear.  Lol.  They never have any in stock :\

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 04:55:45 AM »
I have yet to see a "headset" that is worthwhile. You could do miles better by getting a good pair of headphones and a free-standing mic.

cotton

« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »
I don't know..  Those look pretty damn good.

I've also heard that Astros are really good.  But they are a lot more expensive.  The headset is 150.  That would be these

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 28, 2010, 06:17:40 AM »
Let me re-state my previous post. As far as headsets (headphones with a mic attached to be 1 unit) go, Turtle Beach is pretty well known and IMO, in the "higher" end. With that said, You can spend the same amount of money on a separate setup and get better quality. You can go a lot further with your money with headphones in terms of sound quality and build quality than you can in headsets. Whenever buying anything, you gotta remember that part of the money you're forking over is for the name and aesthetics of the product. Not much money in products like that actually trickles down to the quality of the parts that matter (drivers). Gaming products are more of a status and style symbol than they are for function. Anyway, unless you have a desire to discuss this further, I think I'll end my comments here.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
Re: Gaming Headsets & Quality
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 05:27:52 AM »
Someone did that:
http://board.mypersianforum.com/showthread.php?t=379725

If you get a halfway decent mic, you can get one that you don't have to hold an inch from your mouth so it can sit on your desk.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 06:38:28 AM »
First as a former "pro" gaming (lol) I will say turtle beach has a rep for being shit. Breaking at lans and what not. Icemat Siberia's (now known as Steel Series) Are MUCH better for gaming headsets. Ive owned that pair and its a good headset. Now as some one who hates headsets. Grab the Sennheiser 555 and a free standing or clip on mic and go. I know more people that play in the "pro" arenas with that setup than any gaming headphone. My self I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770/pro 80ohm and a rockband mic sitting in half a pringles can. The mic use to sit in a cup then I broke the cup(twice) and now its in the can. Ive had more hours playing FPS games where sound is more important than aim than you can imagine (1800 hours in COD4 alone).
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 15, 2010, 06:44:34 AM by Knight »
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 15:26:02 PM »
I have tried a decent set of senheiser headphones plus a standalone mic but I just dont like the feeling of ear buds.

Ear buds suck. Did you try any other Sennheiser headphones? I hear the HD600 is really good, I'll probably look to them when I upgrade.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, July 22, 2010, 13:15:15 PM »
You won't get the most out of $300 headphones from a computer without spending more than that on a dedicated DAC/Amp. It's not just bass you notice with headphones like that, it's clarity in sound reproduction with crisp and clean sounds, not muddled or distorted. The highs should be pronounced, not shrill or piercing. Mans, if you're going to get a sound card in the future for gaming, either get Auzentech or Asus, nothing else.

Logitech makes average ok stuff, I've never owned a pair of headphones from them and I probably never will. "Gaming" hardware is a joke. Plain and simple. Most of the features that are offered are pointless. But, I can sit here and tell you guys stuff 100 times over and chances are you'll just end up with some kind of headset and Creative sound card. But I'll still try and inform. I'm talking from experience and knowledge.

Just remember a couple things when you go out to buy something audio-related for computers:
- No gaming products. Stay away. (Applies to any gaming product, especially mice and keyboards. Get something that's comfortable, not something that lights up.)
- EAX is the whole driving force behind Creative's gaming cards. It's dead. Don't buy their stuff now unless you like wasting your money on crap and want driver hassles. Game engines these days can render audio easily and add effects in real time using the CPU. The load difference on modern computers is negligable, Creative's cards won't give you a huge FPS boost. Sure, maybe on older games and older computers that they were originally designed for, you'll see maybe a 5% improvement.
- Research and try to test products out at stores. You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent sound, just armor yourself with knowledge on what the crap products are and you'll be good. Go to the Computer Audio section on Head-Fi. There's ALWAYS someone asking "what headset" or "what soundcard" and there's a lot of people to help.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
God damned new egg not shipping to Australia

I could sell you my card if you're seriously interested :) Looks like shipping would be $13.45.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 23, 2010, 06:33:33 AM »
I don't like the looks of the X-Studio. VIA chipset and 18 Bit / 48 kHz output for analog stereo... kinda screwy. I also don't see anyone recommending it.

I'm not just tooting my own horn when I say my card would be an excellent choice. It's a modified Creative card which puts it equal to or better than the top Auzentech offerings which I'm sure you've looked at. It does everything and the only issue with it affects digital output (I think... I can test it if you get interested).

If nothing else, try and raise your budget up to $150, you'll get better entry units. There's also external solutions:
http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconudac/index.php

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Monday, July 26, 2010, 16:06:32 PM »
I really cant justify spending a lot on a sound card when sound to me is fine as it is. I would also rather have something that isn't modified just in case it fucks up I can return it.

Time for a new pair of headphones then. It's been running for over a year and a half, it's not going to fuck up. Stock Creative cards have more of a chance of fucking up due to the crappy caps they use. Good luck getting support from them. Offer is still there, it's a really solid card :)

cotton

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 19:13:44 PM »
I need some help..  I want some cheap headphones so I can try what that link that spanky gave did..  With the mic and stuff.  I don't want to spend that much money so I found 4 headphones that I like but I don't know which ones I want..  All I know is they HAVE to be over the ear headphones.  Which one looks better and what not?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD201-Pro-Closed-Back-Headphones?sku=242417
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/JVC-HARX300-Headphones?sku=584790
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-QH360-Open-Back-Studio-Headphones?sku=245601
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gemini-DJX05-Headphones?sku=241807#used
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 19:15:46 PM by cotton »

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 28, 2010, 20:14:35 PM »
I got a question does integrated audio chips are any good mine is a 5.1 audio integrated card.... that is why i wonder.!
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager