Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Buying/building a PC  (Read 27318 times)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Buying/building a PC
« on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »
Hey!

Well I've decided I'm going to buy (or build?) a new PC.

The problem is, I've not been at all up to date with the hardware stuff and wouldn't really even know where to start.

It seems that nowadays, they don't really sell readybuilt PCs (as was the trend the last time I bought one some 10 years ago) and if they do it's usually for an office.

What I want from the computer:
  • some game performance - I play a little, but not too much lately
  • some computing power - I sometimes run stuff that runs for a couple of days on my old laptop (numerical differential equations and the likes) and it is likely I will need to in the future as well
  • multiple monitor capability - helps for a lot of data
  • price around 600€
  • shippable to Estonia

That's pretty much it. I have a 3 TB external hard drive at home so it wouldn't need a huge one (although a 64GB SSD would be a tad small to my taste).

So all in all, any ideas what to look for? How easy would it be to really build one given the parts? I bet there's tons of videos on youtube on this.

Is there something coming out soon that might make older generation stuff's price go down?

If there's any further questions, feel free to ask.

Any advice and help would be appreciated!
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Buying/building a PC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
A team mate of mine does this kind of things (and he's from Tallinn), i think you can contact him at  [email protected]
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:18:55 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
I don't tend to keep up with the latest stuff for a few reasons; it changes so quick, it's expensive and myself nor my customers want to afford it.

That said, I think there's a new Intel chip coming out. If you can wait, it might be worthwhile to get setup on a DDR4 platform. Nothing wrong with DDR3 but it's being phased out and DDR4 is slowly becoming affordable. As far as an SSD, go Samsung 850 EVO or Pro. The 250GB variants are pretty affordable as well and with a 5 year warranty, you can't go wrong. I'm quite partial to Corsair power supplies. Skip the CX/CS models and go for HX/TX/AX, it will outlive the rest of your computer.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
Code: [Select]
[quote author=teddy_grizzly_bear link=topic=7074.msg88739#msg88739 date=1429627352]
Hey!

Well I've decided I'm going to buy (or build?) a new PC.

The problem is, I've not been at all up to date with the hardware stuff and wouldn't really even know where to start.

It seems that nowadays, they don't really sell readybuilt PCs (as was the trend the last time I bought one some 10 years ago) and if they do it's usually for an office.

What I want from the computer:
[list]
[li]some game performance - I play a little, but not too much lately[/li]
[li]some computing power - I sometimes run stuff that runs for a couple of days on my old laptop (numerical differential equations and the likes) and it is likely I will need to in the future as well[/li]
[li]multiple monitor capability - helps for a lot of data[/li]
[li]price around 600€[/li]
[li]shippable to Estonia[/li]
[/list]

That's pretty much it. I have a 3 TB external hard drive at home so it wouldn't need a huge one (although a 64GB SSD would be a tad small to my taste).

So all in all, any ideas what to look for? How easy would it be to really build one given the parts? I bet there's tons of videos on youtube on this.

Is there something coming out soon that might make older generation stuff's price go down?

If there's any further questions, feel free to ask.

Any advice and help would be appreciated!

[/quote]

I now know why you reaseach capabilities are lacking severly lol.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=webhp&source=hp&q=ready+built+gaming+computers&oq=ready+built+comp&gs_l=hp.1.3.0j0i22i30l5.1618.5497.0.13970.17.14.0.3.3.0.113.1248.10j3.13.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.hp..2.15.1157.0.H-dMw7urO4c

Edit by Koden: quoting wall of text not appreciated.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:12:07 PM by Koden »
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:22:16 PM »

I now know why you reaseach capabilities are lacking severly lol.
This coming from someone using an HP... Have you ever built one Vegeta?

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:36:55 PM »
You're still so funny, Vegeta.

Of course I did my own research. It wasn't thorough, though. But in any case, when it comes to stuff on the internet, you can't really always trust it. Everyone is partial to some side.
I wanted opinions from those I actually know.

A team mate of mine does this kind of things (and he's from Tallinn), i think you can contact him at  [email protected]
I'll hit him up with an email, see what he says. I'll tell him Koden sent me :)

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 18:52:43 PM »
This coming from someone using an HP... Have you ever built one Vegeta?
I see you moved from the talking sarky to the talking shit mode
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 19:15:21 PM »
I see you moved from the talking sarky to the talking shit mode
Nice way of deferring the question I asked seriously.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 21:17:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure I went to the same school as him and I was only 1 class higher, lol.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 03:02:57 AM »
i did build many of computers by myself. its not that hard to do.
the only thing you have to look while doing it:
be sure that you connect all the cables at the right places of the motherboard (otherwise you will burn it like i did once several years ago :))
but today, you can read the manuals much better then years ago. and the power supplys are more standard now. so its quite easy to do.

as spanky did tell above, you should take a samsung ssd - this speeds your comp really up on another level - when you do use much read/writes operations. for sure you should also have more then 4GB of RAM - 16GB would be enough for years. therefor you have to use/buy a windows x64 bit operating system, 32bit doesn't support more RAM then 3.2/4GB!

make sure you will buy an intel processor with multiple kernels - its a must for calculating like you wish to do - but also depends on the software you do use for calculating. should be ready for multiple kernel use.

the power supply you do select should be able to support your processor, disk, graphic card. should be something above 500W. and maybe not that noisy like some are. and the cables out there should be removable.

about the graphic card i dont really know, but i would select a nvidia chipset. but not sure with that. with all others i am.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 04:27:27 AM »
i did build many of computers by myself. its not that hard to do.
the only thing you have to look while doing it:
be sure that you connect all the cables at the right places of the motherboard (otherwise you will burn it like i did once several years ago :))
but today, you can read the manuals much better then years ago. and the power supplys are more standard now. so its quite easy to do.

as spanky did tell above, you should take a samsung ssd - this speeds your comp really up on another level - when you do use much read/writes operations. for sure you should also have more then 4GB of RAM - 16GB would be enough for years. therefor you have to use/buy a windows x64 bit operating system, 32bit doesn't support more RAM then 3.2/4GB!

make sure you will buy an intel processor with multiple kernels - its a must for calculating like you wish to do - but also depends on the software you do use for calculating. should be ready for multiple kernel use.

the power supply you do select should be able to support your processor, disk, graphic card. should be something above 500W. and maybe not that noisy like some are. and the cables out there should be removable.

about the graphic card i dont really know, but i would select a nvidia chipset. but not sure with that. with all others i am.

Thanks for the insight! :)

I'm having someone look into this for me now (the one Koden suggested), it's less time consuming than getting on top of all the stuff myself. Besides, him being in Estonia and having prior experience also helps.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »
Nice way of deferring the question I asked seriously.
Taking in all your recent posts it might take a long time before you actully get a serious answer.
All of my computors are home made. My son is in uni doing 4 years IT.

No I never built one My boy does. And my uncle built all my others.
So wither I built or never built doenst mean I dont know how to advise teddy, Because he was obviously struggling to find any where in the world that does spec builds lol. He trys so hard though. I thought I should help.

It means nothing if I built or never . SO whats your point? Seems like you are also hurt like teddy and searching for anything you can find to bring me down si I look stupid. But your really struggling to do that. Is that the case Spanky? If not whats your point?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 05:13:53 AM »

No I never built one My boy does. And my uncle built all my others.
So wither I built or never built doenst mean I dont know how to advise teddy, Because he was obviously struggling to find any where in the world that does spec builds lol. He trys so hard though. I thought I should help.

It means nothing if I built or never . SO whats your point? Seems like you are also hurt like teddy and searching for anything you can find to bring me down si I look stupid. But your really struggling to do that. Is that the case Spanky? If not whats your point?

:S I'm sorry but i beg to differ. And Teddy simply stated the obvious, he was looking for a suggestion from the people over here. Besides, writing what you did it's a long way to go to start another (offtopic) discussion between you and the people you're already discussing with in the other thread. So please keep it all in one, or keep it private.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
I beg to differ :) Maybe you need to reread, if indeed you did read, the obvious.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
I got the help I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who knows what it means to be helpful :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager