Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Porting AI to 2.5 (Lost topic mergendice)  (Read 10650 times)

Offline Saltuarius

Re: Porting AI to 2.5 (Lost topic mergendice)
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »
Not true at all. Pipeline is the easiest map to play assault on, it's just that people are retarded. You need 2 things. Pressure on Main entrance, and cover north side entrance and north outside. I could take main and breach it with 3 people. Once inside main entrance you can sit whereever you want, I'll still breach it.

u can do that, but most players cant. maybe the main problem is, that most of the good players play only 1 side - defence.

of course a good ass team can demolish def on a full server. but how often does that happen -  1/100(0) ? most of the time the player-constellations are in favor of defence and egoistic aspects like fragrate etc. dominate nowadays...

Offline Bart!

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, August 31, 2014, 17:51:26 PM »
u can do that, but most players cant. maybe the main problem is, that most of the good players play only 1 side - defence.

of course a good ass team can demolish def on a full server. but how often does that happen -  1/100(0) ? most of the time the player-constellations are in favor of defence and egoistic aspects like fragrate etc. dominate nowadays...
Hammer meets nail. Well said.

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 17:20:07 PM »
You can't deny that the engine is old. It's limited. Adding AI code puts extra stress on an engine that's already stressed.
True, is old ... but 'limited'..? It depends on what you want to achieve - e.g. each Splinter Cell including the last Blacklist was build on the same engine and look, how different it is. Don't know how much you guys know about the map optimisation, but there is many ways to do it right - sometimes you have to sacrifice something in order to get better performance.
As for AI: AA developers approached this problem in a very different way than Epic, so most of native calls / functionality are disabled or non-existent. Most important, there is no CoverSystem implemented (didn't check the objective support) ... I mean, AA AI is in very basic stage of development - probably (scripted ...) is just for the E3 shows.
Basically, this AI is useless in the gameplay.
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 17:35:17 PM »
True, is old ... but 'limited'..? It depends on what you want to achieve - e.g. each Splinter Cell including the last Blacklist was build on the same engine and look, how different it is. Don't know how much you guys know about the map optimisation, but there is many ways to do it right - sometimes you have to sacrifice something in order to get better performance.
As for AI: AA developers approached this problem in a very different way than Epic, so most of native calls / functionality are disabled or non-existent. Most important, there is no CoverSystem implemented (didn't check the objective support) ... I mean, AA AI is in very basic stage of development - probably (scripted ...) is just for the E3 shows.
Basically, this AI is useless in the gameplay.

Of course the engine is limited! Why else would they move on to a newer one with newer versions of AA?

Optimsation is just that, optimisation. You can improve preformance, but you can't remove the need for the processor and/or GPU to calculate stuff and with this engine, it's probably impossible to fully optimise features which this engine wasn't built for (i.e maps from AA3).

And you need to understand that adding anything to the game is much harder than it should simply because we don't have the source for the game.

With that said, I don't think that adding a smarter AI than that which the official devs did would be a bad thing, I just think it's more trouble than it's worth.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 16:29:38 PM »
Of course the engine is limited! Why else would they move on to a newer one with newer versions of AA?
:) ... because it's easier/cheaper to buy a new engine with bunch of new features, than implement these features in the old one - you missing a point ...
... even AA4 doesn't look better than SC:Blacklist.

Optimsation is just that, optimisation. You can improve preformance, but you can't remove the need for the processor and/or GPU to calculate stuff and with this engine, it's probably impossible to fully optimise features which this engine wasn't built for (i.e maps from AA3).
It's funny you mention CPU/GPU calculation, because the map optimisation is all about ... e.g.
1 test: Make a simple test map, put 10k dynamic lights, run the game and check rendering time (or FPS if you whish).
2 test: Replace all dynamic lights with static, run the game and check rendering time.
3. Now tell me conclusion ... and why ...

And you need to understand that adding anything to the game is much harder than it should simply because we don't have the source for the game.
Well (:)), believe or not but I have 'some' experiences with game development - especially Unreal Engine based games and how hard (or not ...) it is. That said, you don't need the game source to be able modify game behaviour, extend its functionality or implement new features (I'm not talking about native stuff like rendering etc.). All you need is complete Unreal Script source code, good UDE and compiler.

With that said, I don't think that adding a smarter AI than that which the official devs did would be a bad thing, I just think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Hmm ... With good AI you can have a lot of fun ...
e.g.
Put AI on the empty slots on the server and replace it with the new incoming player ...
... or implement new game mode 'Offline practice', so people can play with AI and gain experience.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 16:43:32 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 18:34:51 PM »
Well (:)), believe or not but I have 'some' experiences with game development - especially Unreal Engine based games and how hard (or not ...) it is. That said, you don't need the game source to be able modify game behaviour, extend its functionality or implement new features (I'm not talking about native stuff like rendering etc.). All you need is complete Unreal Script source code, good UDE and compiler.
That's exactly what ELiZ did with the SAI, ported the code right over. We have a good compiler and halfway decent editor.

The door is always open NBD :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline MrEpicGoat

• View Profile
  • AA: epic!
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 21:24:55 PM »
Pfffffff, Mr. NoBigDeal again spamming the forum, and pretending he know anything about real coding.

Please dude, leave this stuff to Eliz, he knows what he is doing.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, October 23, 2014, 21:39:40 PM »
No doubt that ELiZ knows what he's doing but he's just 1 person. Having a collaborative group of people will get more work done.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #53 on: Friday, October 24, 2014, 02:59:39 AM »
Pit, stop being jelious

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager