Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5  (Read 98824 times)

Offline ELiZ

Re: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 17:15:30 PM »
Eliz may i ask if you opened a converted map in the 2.4.1 editor? I have something wierd going on, as i ported all the converted packages (static meshes, textures, sounds animations and maps) into my AA 2.5 folder, and opened a map into the editor but i see many textures missing despite the packages being there. I hope it's just something wrong on my install :)

It's not you, it´s one of the things I hope to able to fix this weekend.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Guide for converting game assets from America's Army 2.8.5 to America's Army 2.5
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, February 16, 2012, 17:25:34 PM »
It's not you, it´s one of the things I hope to able to fix this weekend.

Okie then, the result is very good already as no static meshes are missing, since they take more time to be replaced.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #32 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
Here is Beta3, most of the issues are solved.
I'm still not 100% satisfied with the nametable issue, but I’ve added some more workarounds so it now works decent.

We also have the Issue with M_AAs vs M2-
What is the best solution?

Koden, I heard that you been working with Interdiction  ;)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 14:16:13 PM »
Wow O_O yes i was working on Interdiction and actually the map was pretty much complete (on the visual side). Now a converted version made through your tool will most likely be better i guess.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #34 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 14:50:02 PM »
Now a converted version made through your tool will most likely be better i guess.

But it won't have the tender love you put into it :D

Also, I'm a bit concerned with packages. From what I understand ELiZ, you've just converted the 2.8.x packages to a format the 2.5 engine & editor will use. The converted maps then use those packages right? That's cool but the problem I have is that a lot of those objects/sounds/textures are already in 2.5 and it's not going to be good to make people download duplicates of files. Is there a way that your program can check if an object/texture/sound exists in 2.5's packages and use those existing packages rather than the converted ones? Maybe we can trim down the stuff converted from 2.8 to only things that don't exist in 2.5.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 14:53:01 PM »

It would have sounds...but i appreciate, i actually put much passion in it :) thank you.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #36 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 03:05:11 AM »

Also, I'm a bit concerned with packages. From what I understand ELiZ, you've just converted the 2.8.x packages to a format the 2.5 engine & editor will use. The converted maps then use those packages right? That's cool but the problem I have is that a lot of those objects/sounds/textures are already in 2.5 and it's not going to be good to make people download duplicates of files. Is there a way that your program can check if an object/texture/sound exists in 2.5's packages and use those existing packages rather than the converted ones? Maybe we can trim down the stuff converted from 2.8 to only things that don't exist in 2.5.

That sounds like a good plan, perhaps create new packages, ie T_AA25_ and M_AA25_
I should be able to create a list of all objects in all the exting 2.5 packages.

But first things first, I still have to fix the name table 100%, otherwize we wont be able to check if the object exists or not.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 03:08:44 AM »
That sounds like a good plan, perhaps create new packages, ie T_AA25_ and M_AA25_
I should be able to create a list of all objects in all the exting 2.5 packages.

Koden actually started doing that by hand with your older AARE program, before you started posting here :)

Is there a way you could explain how you're doing this? I mean, simple and whatnot? It just boggles my mind as I thought 2.8.x stuff was encrypted.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »
Koden actually started doing that by hand with your older AARE program, before you started posting here :)

Is there a way you could explain how you're doing this? I mean, simple and whatnot? It just boggles my mind as I thought 2.8.x stuff was encrypted.

It's encrypted in such a way that I was able to "crack" it in a day just by looking at the data in an hexeditor.

Code: [Select]
' Create the 64KB key
        asa = 0
        For ca2 = 0 To 255
            For ca = 0 To 255
                If (ca2 And 3) < 2 Then
                    If (asa And 3) > 1 Then
                        SecondLevel(asa) = 1
                    Else
                    End If
                Else
                    If (asa And 3) < 2 Then
                        SecondLevel(asa) = 1
                    Else
                    End If
                End If
                FirstLevel(asa) = (ca Xor ca2)
                asa = asa + 1
            Next ca
        Next ca2

'load the file into an byte array
        cc = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllBytes(name_Renamed)

'Apply the key to bytes 68->End
        For Dcounter = 68 To UBound(cc)
               asa = Dcounter And 65535
               cc(Dcounter) = cc(Dcounter) Xor FirstLevel(asa)
               If SecondLevel(asa) = 1 Then cc(Dcounter) = (cc(Dcounter) >> 7) + (cc(Dcounter) << 1)
        Next Dcounter

The Name table is then encrypted with a second layer, and it's that I'm currently working on right now.
I almost got it right.

The Exporttable and importtable isn't encrypted with a second layer, but instead it is modified in a few ways:
Flags is xor'd with FFFFFFFF
ObjectName and Flagss  has swapped places compared to a 2.5 package.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 11:33:21 AM »
Pretty smart man :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 14:26:50 PM »
Well, ELiZ you are pretty damn intelligent haha.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #41 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Whese are the maps that are in 2.8.5 that isnät in 2.5.0?
Code: [Select]
BRM_Range.aao
Canyon.aao
District.aao
Eagle_Tower.aao
ES2Border.aao
ES2Bridge.aao
ES2McKenna.aao
Interdiction.aao
JavelinTraining.aao
Recruiting_Station.aao
Rummage.aao
SFHospitalSE.aao
SFSnakePlain.aao
ShootHouse.aao
SMU_GH_SFFloodgate.aao
Steamroller.aao
Weapons_Fam.aao
Vehicle_Training_Driver.aao
Vehicle_Training_Gunner.aao

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
i was going to mark out the ones that are missing, but they pretty much all miss from 2.5 . There are many Training maps in there, from Javelin's to the Humvee driving ones.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 16:29:40 PM »
Thats correct ELiZ for vanilla 2.5

2.5Assist has Rummage now. Koden is still working on Interdiction.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #44 on: Sunday, February 26, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
Thats correct ELiZ for vanilla 2.5

2.5Assist has Rummage now. Koden is still working on Interdiction.

This is the current state of the direct convert of the 2.8.5 map.

Naturally the skill of you all will be needed to fix it afterwards, I'm not a UnrealEd Export, I'm just a ByteJunkie.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager