Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: GameSpy Servers Shutting Down in May  (Read 10791 times)

Offline ELiZ

GameSpy Servers Shutting Down in May
« on: Friday, April 04, 2014, 22:01:40 PM »
I've read this:

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gamespy-software-pc-gaming-multiplayer-closing,26458.html

Some of the built in functions of 25Assist have functions that send Data to Gamespy servers, I don't think they are critical for Assist to work, but we might have some disturbance if there is something that I've not thought of.

There might also be some problem with BT tracking, and if there is a problem with that, there is nothing WE can do since we don't have control of Battletracker.com

Anyone know more of the issues that might occur?

Offline -[unR]BENDAWICH

Re: GameSpy Servers Shutting Down in May
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 04, 2014, 23:43:21 PM »
Yeh BT will be down for sure. Wasnt the plan for the original aa 2.5 to disable gamespy as the army was developing their own tracker. But it didnt come to fruition, but i remember homey said that it would have disabled thier tracking capabilities. Just hope it doesnt have any affect on how assist runs. Stats dont mean anything and i cant see homey even bothering with a work around with assist either. But as long as the game still works then thats the most important thing.

Edit :- Found the thread from a while back about when aa where to disable gamespy. http://battletracker.com/forum/general/battletracker-news/93961-tracker-community-not-wanted-by-army-and-gamedevelopers/
« Last Edit: Friday, April 04, 2014, 23:46:39 PM by -[unR]BENDAWICH »

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 05, 2014, 01:40:36 AM »
Doesn't Battletracker use Gamespy to pull all of the stats? As much as you'd think that stats aren't that big of a deal you'd be surprised at how much some people care about them.
Eliz did make his own tracker a bit ago (although I'm not exactly sure how ready it is), but our account system still runs off of battletracker so there would have to be a work around to upload those stats to battletracker (mainly to get honor to update) instead of the gamespy ones. However, like bendawich said, I doubt Homey would do anything about it as he's been MIA for a while, although he already helped before when Assist was first created. It might be worth a shot.

This could be bad news.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 05, 2014, 05:07:18 AM »
BT uses GameSpy queries, but they are directly from BT to Game Server, so the queries should still work, but there is no guarantee. And since all tracked servers must be manually registered with BT, the GameSpy Master server should not be essential for tracking to work.

However there might be a small problem that I can't foresee, and because BT staff  stopped working on the site, even a small problem might be a show stopper.

If there will be a small problem for 25Assist we should be able to bypass the problem within a day or two.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 15:53:38 PM »
Homey woke up. Here's what he wrote on Battletracker as an answer to your question, ELiZ:

Quote from: Homey[GER]
Yes it will. We are still using a lot of their services, for example all our "master serverlists" are synced with gamespy ... also games like AAO still use GameSpy Query that we need to track the stats. I am not sure what will happen when they shut down their services, we have to see ...

Unsure if it will cause any bad problems that we can not solve, too early to say that. With some luck we can find solutions for everything
(here)

<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 15:56:23 PM »
Homey is back! Nice

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 15:57:33 PM »
Homey is back! Nice
He's probably gonna be MIA again for a couple of years after this post lol

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 16:35:24 PM »
cross fingers, maybe it will help.

Offline JunK

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 17:09:49 PM »
Why we don't start a whole new tracker? There are new players in this game so we can give them a change and mostly players in the ranking of BT doesn't even play anymore America's Army.

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, April 09, 2014, 17:51:42 PM »
mostly players in the ranking of BT doesn't even play anymore America's Army.

If you're inactive for a while ur name is not showing on the toplist anymore

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 01:41:24 AM »
Since this is now pretty damn imminent, any news on this?

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 01:50:40 AM »
Since this is now pretty damn imminent, any news on this?
The only thing we can do right now is wait and see what happens. Judging from what Homey said, it looks like the worst case is that stats and honor will not be tracked anymore.

Offline raw

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 05:16:59 AM »
I'm sure many guys will quit this game if the game stops tracking the stats.
Including myself :| 
AA2  2005-2015
AA:PG 2015-

Offline Ares

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
The only thing we can do right now is wait and see what happens. Judging from what Homey said, it looks like the worst case is that stats and honor will not be tracked anymore.
Which would be the best for this game. Statswhoring has always been a problem in the flow of the gameplay here. The ones who stop playing because of it, BYE BYE

Offline raw

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2014, 05:36:49 AM »
Ares if you want to see your profile / stats getting updated doesnt mean automatically those guys are playing like a fragratewhores.

Since the day i started to play AA i've been visiting the tracker almost every week,reading the forums etc.
Just feels very weird if suddenly it doesnt exists...
AA2  2005-2015
AA:PG 2015-

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager