Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2.5 Assist ReadME  (Read 83312 times)

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
Re: AA2.5 Assist ReadME
« Reply #15 on: Monday, March 19, 2012, 14:01:56 PM »
Once in a while people ask why training isn't working i.e. why doesn't it save your score, so this could be one thing to add to the read me / faq.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 18:17:11 PM »
Why the hell would I wanna download my AA to my C: drive? And Documents and Settings of all places! I barely have room there as it is!
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 18:27:29 PM »
Good job coming here just to rage about a free product which has a workaround for the problem you have.

It's not our fault you don't have enough space on your default program installation drive. Documents and Settings (lol at you using Windows XP) was used for permission reasons. Super easy to move the installation to whatever medium you want.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 21:42:05 PM »
Good job coming here just to rage about a free product which has a workaround for the problem you have.

It's not our fault you don't have enough space on your default program installation drive. Documents and Settings (lol at you using Windows XP) was used for permission reasons. Super easy to move the installation to whatever medium you want.
tell us how to do, mister knowledgement :P
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 21:59:43 PM »
I'm not going to tell you how to do something which is outlined in 4 separate easily-found places.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 17:16:41 PM »
For your information, I'm not using XP, but I read from the manual that that's where it's putting it. And I did see the workaround for it (make the appropriate folder in 25assist folder), but would it really be so hard to make the user select the folder they wish to use for installation as so many games do (granted most of them are not community built).

Anyway I wasn't even "raging" as you put it, not in my own mind at least, just stating my opinion. (Although looking at it now I do seem to have used too many exclamation marks)
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 17:20:14 PM »
Assist isn't "installed" so the user can't select where the files go. I remember Jonny mentioning that the game files have to go there for permission reasons. "Documents and Settings" is for Windows XP, "Users/*username*/AppData/Roaming" is for Vista/7. Having the user select the default installation is another unnecessary step between downloading Assist and playing. It's easily changed for those that need it. I mean, if you have documents on another drive/partition, chances are good that you know how to move files and access the hidden folder Assist is in.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 18:58:02 PM »
you can hardlink Assist Folder :)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 16:56:39 PM »
Wel i dont know about others rage or no rage but, for me Assist not found AA installed normally (not copied or saved from old windows installation) with 30 minutes before using Assist. Could not read any registry key, because AA runs fine, and could not tell him where it is located the installed game. Assist manual tells me there is a need next to assist.exe like 25assist folder and there should be the game folder but with not any name just what he accept it which is not told us. SO please come down from programmers heaven and fix the bullshit in your game. I saw more really garbage code-s which could do this and could not do many things. Yep after several runs over the manual still not works.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 17:00:29 PM »
Wel i dont know about others rage or no rage but, for me Assist not found AA installed normally (not copied or saved from old windows installation) with 30 minutes before using Assist. Could not read any registry key, because AA runs fine, and could not tell him where it is located the installed game. Assist manual tells me there is a need next to assist.exe like 25assist folder and there should be the game folder but with not any name just what he accept it which is not told us. SO please come down from programmers heaven and fix the bullshit in your game. I saw more really garbage code-s which could do this and could not do many things. Yep after several runs over the manual still not works.
Can you come down from idiot heaven and fix the bullshit in your post so I can understand what you hope to achieve?

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 17:10:02 PM »
No, as you are still higher. take a pill, install AA, like data partition\games\AA2
start Assist, game not found, find, pointing -> data partition\games\AA2 = game not found.

So what is my idiots heaven vs your programmers heaven?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 17:26:47 PM »
Don't install AA, let Assist install it. If you "FIND" the plain 2.5 AA install in Assist, there will be tons of updates that have to be done, you may as well let Assist download the whole thing.

Set Assist up like this:
X:\games\25Assist (empty folder where AA will be downloaded/installed)
X:\games\25Assist.exe (Assist exe)
X:\games\25Assist Libs (Assist libs folder)

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #27 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 17:34:30 PM »
First, these things should be cleared/or asked. I am on 3G network as i have no option for other network connection and this free option cost me money. Game downloaded, installed, working.
Scanning should not be a problem (it is at the moment). Updates are smaller then the full game, so i could live with that one.

Which part you not got it? Special peoples with special problems.

Offline H3llr3is3r

« Reply #28 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 17:51:31 PM »
Now it is even better, freezing during download. If i try 10 times he do 10 times the same, freezing the same point. Smart.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #29 on: Friday, January 02, 2015, 18:02:57 PM »
If I was as much of an asshole as you're being right now, I'd have you banned so that when you finally get the game installed and running, you couldn't play. You're coming to a forum asking for help but you're being insulting in your first post, what makes you think that will get you anywhere?

The FIND function does work, I've used it many times. It doesn't rely on registry entries, it simply copies the folder structure. There is quite a bit of updates, I would almost bet it doubles the installed size of AA. A lot of files are updated/overwritten so you'll have to download them again. Having a 3G connection will cause you more issues that are beyond our control. It also greatly depends on the SourceForge mirror you're connected to which we also don't have any control over.

When you set Assist up like this:
Set Assist up like this:
X:\games\25Assist (empty folder where AA will be downloaded/installed)
X:\games\25Assist.exe (Assist exe)
X:\games\25Assist Libs (Assist libs folder)
Does it ask you if you want to use that folder, when you open Assist? If so, close Assist and copy your AA2 into this folder:
X:\games\25Assist\armyops

See if that works.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager