Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Sound of the weapons  (Read 3679 times)

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

Sound of the weapons
« on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
I looked at youtube and some of the guns fire differently. Can gun sounds be modified or does it require source code? It would be awesome if the gun firing sound could be updated that it is used nowdays. I think AAPG have updated guns sound, just an idea to make game more realistic with the sound that you want to hear as you would be in the real battlefield. :)

Etc

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 11:52:47 AM by ArmyAntiCheat »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: Sound of the weapons
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
This being an army game I'm pretty sure that they would have used the actual sounds of the guns.

You can hear a difference between shooting in a room and outside as well.

However, the sound that real guns make depends heavily on the environment and much more than just whether or not you're inside. Larger rooms have a different echo than smaller ones (it also depends on the surface of the walls, ceiling and floor), in areas with trees the gun sounds different than in an open field. There's just so many different variables that would need to go into calculating what the gun should really sound like and this engine just isn't built to make those differences.
There might be a way to implement a finite amount of different sounds to the game and have them play at different situation, but it would be tedious work (and I don't guarantee we can do that).

And it might also be possible to change the current sounds, but with our limited budget (or lack there of), we would get nowhere near as clear sounds as would be needed for a game (unless we ripped it from another game I suppose).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »
Yes but if you look at AAPG they have updated version of sounds that play with the right gun, the difference is in this game, where ever you be your gun will sound the same, let's take M16 or SF gun, every gun that is in the game sounds the same in all environment.

I think it could be implemented, I think there was one discussion about it but can't remember what was an excuse for not doing this kind of amazing feature, it runs an old ass sound, implementing more realistic sound would feel more like in the battlefield than at the laptop, I listened on AAPG and the sound there is awesome :)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:12:37 PM »
I always thought the sound quality of the weapons sounds was pretty good, on AA2, while i don't like a lot the weapon rendition on AAPG (but the game is still in beta and the sound reproduction isn't overwhelming well executed all around).

Anyway, there's a free library project for weapon sounds that was released a few months ago:

http://firearmsfx.moonfruit.com/

(it was funded on kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bjjaszcz/the-firearm-sound-library

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:18:16 PM »
I always thought the sound quality of the weapons sounds was pretty good, on AA2, while i don't like a lot the weapon rendition on AAPG (but the game is still in beta and the sound reproduction isn't overwhelming well executed all around).

Anyway, there's a free library project for weapon sounds that was released a few months ago:

http://firearmsfx.moonfruit.com/

(it was funded on kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bjjaszcz/the-firearm-sound-library

I think the sound is okay but could be improved beyond that looking at the youtube videos the guns fire differently, the AAO 2.5 is quite an old game and the sound actually stayed a long time without being updated or checked if they sound the right.

I have a look at the library, looks like a nice site to hearthe realistic effects of the guns which you could use in check up ^^

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:45:13 PM »
Yes but if you look at AAPG they have updated version of sounds that play with the right gun, the difference is in this game, where ever you be your gun will sound the same, let's take M16 or SF gun, every gun that is in the game sounds the same in all environment.

I think it could be implemented, I think there was one discussion about it but can't remember what was an excuse for not doing this kind of amazing feature, it runs an old ass sound, implementing more realistic sound would feel more like in the battlefield than at the laptop, I listened on AAPG and the sound there is awesome :)
AAPG is a newer game, newer engine, it would have had a lot of different things.

And not all guns sounds the same.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 13:50:04 PM »
AAPG is a newer game, newer engine, it would have had a lot of different things.

And not all guns sounds the same.

Not saying all guns sound the same, the guns at their specific ammunition sounds the same, like sf always sounds the same in all environment like every other gun. They don't change depending on environment, I understand but as you guys say it can be done.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 14:16:45 PM »
I don't recall the guns sounding all the same. As for changing depending on environment, that's not possible in AA2, that's an engine limitation. AA2's engine was made at a time when companies were thinking about dedicated chips for things like sound cards to offload rendering from the CPU. These days, the engine does most everything on the CPU aside from the graphics. You don't need a dedicated sound card to get good environmental effects.

We can update the sounds but I would hesitate to do so. Various reasons would be animation time. Sure, the gunshots wouldn't matter but reloading sounds & animations would have to be stretched/shortened to fit. I also don't know what kind of dedication the AAPG team has, it doesn't really look like they're going for realism. Back when the devs were making AA2, they had real dedication and recorded sounds very accurately.

Something you may not know is that in the sound industry, not much changes over time. DAC's and ADC's do but microphones, speakers, amplifiers, room dampening equipment and other things haven't changed much. You can get 40 year old equipment that will blow the pants off of anything you could get at Best Buy or any other store. Some of it is just physics and very little of it is improvements in manufacturing accuracy.

Anyway, if people were serious about this, I'd like to see comparisons and a few YouTube videos that demonstrate gunfire sounds at a decent distance (too close and it's distorted by crappy camera microphones).
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 14:50:23 PM »
They don't change depending on environment, I understand but as you guys say it can be done.
I said there might be a way to do it. What it meant is that, in theory it should be possible, but I don't know whether or not it is in reality. Now that Spanky answered and we now know it can't :)

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 15:34:54 PM »
Well thanks for the feedback :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager