Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Merging AA 2.8.5 files  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Stoop!dMonkey

Merging AA 2.8.5 files
« on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »
I suggest add to Assit optional AA 2.8.5 unique installation files with only bot cooperating maps. AA 2.8.5 should using all settings from AA 2.5 and connecting to the same game tracker. These maps will be available mainly on windows platform, but on linux Assist can try launching AA 2.8.5 through WINE. I think this idea will encourage more players to AA assist and increase total number of players on servers. Mac, Linux and Windows player still will be meeting on maps that already available. It's like bonus maps for Windows and Linux (wine compatible) users and will be visible in sever browser for all. Some players still playing 2.8.5 (bugsgang.com) and I think they likely will move to Assist and will play sometimes on 2.5 maps too.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Merging AA 2.8.5 files
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
It's been tried before and there were technical hurdles that prevented completion of the project. There's a screenshot of ELiZ having Authorization working in 2.8.5 but I haven't found it. The project was abandoned a year ago. I don't fully know the issues but from what I recall, there was problems injecting our own code and getting the game to behave properly afterwards.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Bart!

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
So what you actually mean is to just let assist show the 285 servers as a side project, and not serve as auth, but just as a way to start the game and find the servers with co-op version on it?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »
So what you actually mean is to just let assist show the 285 servers as a side project, and not serve as auth, but just as a way to start the game and find the servers with co-op version on it?

If that's right then I disagree. We don't want to further divide a small community by bringing in 2.8.5 coop maps. It would be a nice market to have but there's times on 2.5 where there's hardly any players on decent servers.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Stoop!dMonkey

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 01, 2014, 13:17:00 PM »
I mean with authorization of course (the same game tracker). Perhaps there is need to make local host app which is bridge with connecting to 2.5 tracker. I never looking how AA is communicating and work with tracker or auth server so It's only an idea.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager