Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Any chance that this classic will come to Steam?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Coverlux

Any chance that this classic will come to Steam?
« on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:29:29 PM »
Maybe with Greenlight? Couldn't you guys do it if the Army doesn't care about AA2 anymore?

Offline Alex

Re: Any chance that this classic will come to Steam?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:31:18 PM »
The short answer is no. We do not own the rights to the game thus we cannot do anything with it.

Offline Coverlux

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:36:24 PM »
The short answer is no. We do not own the rights to the game thus we cannot do anything with it.
Too bad. But thanks for keeping it alive though. It seems like it has more players than AA3 which is on Steam.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:43:24 PM »
On one hand I think it would be a good idea, and I think we could weasel our way around and make it work.

On the other hand, fuck extra software. EA going and doing their own thing with Origin is miserable. Each game that has layers of additional required software is annoying and prevents people from playing. The more direct experience we can provide, the better. Assist takes care of everything and there's no need for anything else. Personally, I'd like to do away with BattleTracker, it's been a pain from the beginning but we all got dreams.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:51:30 PM »
On one hand I think it would be a good idea, and I think we could weasel our way around and make it work.

On the other hand, fuck extra software. EA going and doing their own thing with Origin is miserable. Each game that has layers of additional required software is annoying and prevents people from playing. The more direct experience we can provide, the better. Assist takes care of everything and there's no need for anything else. Personally, I'd like to do away with BattleTracker, it's been a pain from the beginning but we all got dreams.
Steam would skyrocket our playerbase, but it's not possible for us to do. Not only do we not own the rights to do it (no way would Valve let it on Steam), but steam requires you to build part of your game with their stuff (to include the overlay and crap like that) and we can't do that.

Offline Coverlux

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 22, 2015, 15:56:04 PM »
Steam would skyrocket our playerbase, but it's not possible for us to do. Not only do we not own the rights to do it (no way would Valve let it on Steam), but steam requires you to build part of your game with their stuff (to include the overlay and crap like that) and we can't do that.
And that is probably part of the reason why the Army doesn't put it on Steam. I mean, their reason for putting down the honor servers was to save time and money which they then put into the new version of AA. I agree with the bigger playerbase when on Steam.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 24, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »
Unfortunately, not possible for us.

I actually already spoke with a DEV about this, because steam also has more advertisement and exposure for gamers, so the game could skyrocket with playerbase.

However, from upper hand they do not want to start AA2 again. Sad but true. Their support is gone.

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 25, 2015, 03:33:47 AM »
There's nothing stopping you from adding AA to your steam games library so that your clan or group of steam friends will know that you're playing AA
http://82nd.us/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4056&forum=26&post_id=&refresh=Go

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 26, 2015, 05:54:32 AM »
oh, this is nice.

but still sad that they dont want to add aa2 at steam, because then everyone could select this game. not "only" the once that already have it.

thanks for the hint. i will do it.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, February 07, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »
Havent been on here for a long time.
Just redownloading the game and wanted to post the Steam idea as well.

I am not surprised they don't want to restart AA2. Part of me thinks that the Army was not happy when they had to deal with million of players back in the day. Not only that, but adding AA2 back online would basically shut down AA3 and Proving grounds.

And now, instead of players being on AA2, they are going to Insurgency and for the record, Insurgency has more players than Proving Grounds

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, February 07, 2015, 06:48:10 AM »
Havent been on here for a long time.
Just redownloading the game and wanted to post the Steam idea as well.

I am not surprised they don't want to restart AA2. Part of me thinks that the Army was not happy when they had to deal with million of players back in the day. Not only that, but adding AA2 back online would basically shut down AA3 and Proving grounds.

And now, instead of players being on AA2, they are going to Insurgency and for the record, Insurgency has more players than Proving Grounds

America's Army 2 and Proving Grounds are two really different games. I wouldn't complain if they were to shut down AA3 anyway (i can see no shortcoming in shutting down a game that had most of its content "coming soon" from release until now).

Besides -> http://web.archive.org/web/20050316051635/http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2005/03/americas_army_b.html

Insurgency is an interesting game, and i was really interested about the cooperative part, but at release the AI was quite slow and really not good for a fight, they tried to "tweak" it but it ended up being godlike, from what i remember (with the 2014 update).

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 07, 2015, 08:21:53 AM »
*offtopic*
Hey, welcome back    august :)
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager