Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Android Application  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Android Application
« on: Friday, August 15, 2014, 15:44:35 PM »
While I hate Linux and know nothing about developing for Android, I thought it might be fun to learn by making a simple app for AAO25. My question is, would it be a waste of time? Would you guys like to have something like that?

I was thinking a server list, detailed server information, shoutbox, and maybe more.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Vilkas

• View Profile
Re: Android Application
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 15, 2014, 15:48:39 PM »
i use my android a lot, would be useful:)

Offline tydek

« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 15, 2014, 17:08:56 PM »
I use android sometimes. But it would be great to have stats, players rank, servers etc. Also maybe server to favorite it and add to favorites.

Offline Petrol

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 16, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
Deer Spanky,
I want to suggest you few thinks.

First is to create nice back-end, It could be some kind of web-service. Next you should provide by it some useful features. It is important to make it well and with respect of some quite known standards.

Next you could move one more step and use it to create some application.

If you really want to go to android I recommend to use some kind of higher technology instead of shity Java. I hate Java, Java sucks, Java is for morons who don't believe their mind.
Phone Gap will be grate for you because, you seem to be some kind of webdev, but in my opinion Qt is much more relevant.

If you want my help I can help you with first point: Assist Data Back-end.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 16, 2014, 12:30:18 PM »
Jareds working on a public api. He knows more about making efficient PHP than I do. That's what got me thinking about this, using the api to build an app if people wanted it.

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
I can create simple android apps.  Don't necessarily have the time to, but consider that a lot of things can be done via html through an app or accessed as a mobile designed browser page instead of coding app interaction.  Something offline, or can't be done well mobile via a web page.  Things like HLSW already exists for server stats using gamespy queries.

Jared

« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 14:10:58 PM »
Petrol, do you have skype where we can chat or even you Shad? We need more help with development on the website, I'm only a front end developer (node,express,sass,html) I do know some php but there is a lot more people better than me at it. So please let me know if you would like to lend a hand.

I don't like phone gap because its just a sudo wrapper of the web browser running your app. You should rather look into cordova its a little bit more robust, but i do remember having issues with it effecting some types of javascript on compile.

I was thinking of using something like SLIM to make a nice public restful api. I do have knowledge of laravel but it seems a bit to large of a framework for something like this.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 17:40:54 PM »
I've given this idea up. Spent about 2 hours trying to get setup with the Android Dev stuff and it's incredibly confusing. Trying to follow tutorials and mash stuff together, nothing makes sense. I think the best way to move forward is to create a "live" website where mobile and desktop users can go and see live information from Assist. That way, it's cross-platform and universal.

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:28:04 PM »
What you could do is a payed app for both androids and ios and the money gathered could be donated to assist.
I would like an app for ios with stats for servers and stuff would be great.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 18:43:10 PM »
See, that's another issue. An app for Android wouldn't be for iOS. But making a light and live website, it would be for anything. We could include it with this website and require a donator status to view it. Anyone that's donated on the forum would be able to see it.

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 19:25:54 PM »
See, that's another issue. An app for Android wouldn't be for iOS. But making a light and live website, it would be for anything. We could include it with this website and require a donator status to view it. Anyone that's donated on the forum would be able to see it.
Go for it then, if it help the game staying alive then its always a good ideia.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2014, 21:21:27 PM »
With the donation money that Assist cashes in, a hired Android developer for an eventual app
wouldn't even finish the login page lol. Better design a good compact mobile website with the
most relevant data everyone wants to access.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline 82nd_DXO_COL=Shad

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 02:39:10 AM »
Yep.  The urge to make everything an app really bloats your tablet/phone when most things can be accomplished in html.  Doesn't have to be really mobile format these days either, as most mobile browsers handle 'desktop' browsing adequately anyways, although this site looks different in webkit, firefox and chrome.  So ideally maybe optimize the landing page after login to show everything relevant for both desktops and mobile browsers. The trick is getting things to look nice in a narrow pixel width that might be 720 or so for mobile browsers in vertical mode. 
Currently it looks like this in chrome: 
which doesn't look useable.  I think that lands squarely on the news page. 
My 2 cents:
Maybe the forum page should be the default  page again.  Things I look for when I get here is:  Last few posts with a link to read unread posts, the shoutbox, personal messages waiting.  Maybe add the top few populated servers but I don't think that's what people really want to see when they look at this on a phone or tablet.  Maybe add BT stats.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »
Utroda will work on a web version of AAO25 when he has time and might figure out how to best handle the sidebar and content together on a small screen.

I'm thinking of taking live info from Assist and piping it to a website that can be mobile. Where people could see the shoutbox, players in-game, populated servers and more without having to alt+tab or if they want to know what's going on while at work or whatever. Might be a waste though, if AAO25 becomes mobile-friendly, the Servers page could take care of that.

Offline Petrol

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2014, 03:09:40 AM »
Angular is fun, if you have nice backend of course.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager