Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound does not work  (Read 8060 times)

Offline H.Blacksmith

Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound does not work
« on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »
Hey all,
does anybody now how to enable quadrophonic or 5.1 sound for AAO. I'm using my onboard sound card (Realtek) on Win 7. In Realtek HD Audio-Manager everything works fine and i get a signal from all speakers, but in game the sound is only stereo. I can't hear anything from the rear speakers. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 13:21:08 PM by H.Blacksmith »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: Qudrophonic or 5.1 sound
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
With 5.1 audio you generally need to have more than 1 audio output from your computer. If that came with your PC, then great.
If you have a USB 5.1 headset, those generally come with their own audio chip and make only "virtual" 3D sound.

Or at least that's what I gathered when I bought my 5.1 headset around 8 years ago, it's broken now and I haven't used one like that in a long time.

As for enabling it in AA, I believe you needed to change the ingame audio settings to EAX (or something like that), but I'm not really sure anymore nowadays.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline H.Blacksmith

Re: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Thanks for reply. I already tried that. I have more than 1 audio output and the settings in game are changed to EAX. Sound card drivers are up to date. But no 3d sound...
Other games are working. But AAO does'nt.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 14:07:53 PM by H.Blacksmith »

Offline H.Blacksmith

Re: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 13:19:21 PM »
Cmon guys! Does nobody have an idea here...? Really...? I can't believe that i'm the only one who has problems with this.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound does not work
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 16:22:15 PM »
Bear in mind that this is a rather small community and it might take some time for someone with useful information to join the chat here.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline H.Blacksmith

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 16:45:41 PM »
I see!  :D

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 16:47:12 PM »
Im not sure but I have seen 5.1 option only in Linux version of AA.

Offline H.Blacksmith

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 19:09:07 PM »
That's strange. On Win XP it was possible to play AA with surround sound. So whats the big deal to do that on Win 7? It's pretty important in this game to be able to hear where exactly something happens...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 20:14:25 PM by H.Blacksmith »

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 10, 2016, 23:09:56 PM »
Have you checked if assist audio settings has option to tick on 5.1 sounds? Some settings work better through assist settings than aa settings.

I havent seen in Windows AA version 5.1 option, but in Linux I believe yes, but if you are sure it has worked in Windows XP, its pretty surely about EAX. EAX support was removed since Windows Vista, but there is probably a workaround.

With Realtek you can try following: download SoundsBack from Realtek website audio downloads. Yes, its old but only thing I know is made for getting EAX  back.

After installing in Vista compatibility mode, run it in compatibility mode also as ADMIN. Remember to have hidden/system files set to visible in Windows. Add a game, search for ArmyOps in /users/username/AppData/roaming/assist25/armyops. Im not sure if you need to add root folder of aa or system of aa, so you could add both and remember to enable them.

Try again now :)

I didnt know that in Windows AA there was 5.1 setting, I thought its just virtual 3D sound in stereo.

If anything above doesnt work, go to your playback devices sound properties, enhancements tab and tick "speaker fill" then what you get, should be double stereo which at least with music sounds better, at least you get sound from all speakers ^^ I think it was that option.

Offline H.Blacksmith

« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 13:01:00 PM »
Thanks Pipez0r for the extensive description. I already knew SoundsBack from Realtek but i could not make it work - at least not for AAO. I followed your installation instructions but no luck. Guess that this SoundsBack thing only works for a few games. If somebody knows a way to use it for AAO it would be great if he shares his knowledge here in forum.
I solved my quadrophonic problem by installing WinXP on a seperate HD and using it for playing AAO. That's the only way i know so far to get quadrophonic sound back.
It's not that elegant technically but it works. :style:
Finally i can hear where exactly the enemy is... muhohawhaaa!!!
By the way, it's a shame that i have to downgrade (or degrade  ;)) to WinXP for this. Maybe the developers of 25Assist can find a way to enable it in future - and not only for linux users please...
« Last Edit: Monday, February 22, 2016, 13:04:11 PM by H.Blacksmith »

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 13:40:36 PM »
Interesting. I use soundback, and it seems working (at least with stereo) or maybe its my sound settings that allow me to hear nearly everything like with winxp it used to be.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 22, 2016, 13:46:44 PM »
Oh and btw, at least in win8.1 and 10 theres an option that can be als in 7, right click sound icon next to clock, playback settings, properties of your device, enhancements tab and tick loudness equalization. Maybe needs the exact driver for your sound card. That really changed my experience, with that and couple of other settings I hear everything.

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »
Oh and btw, at least in win8.1 and 10 theres an option that can be als in 7, right click sound icon next to clock, playback settings, properties of your device, enhancements tab and tick loudness equalization. Maybe needs the exact driver for your sound card. That really changed my experience, with that and couple of other settings I hear everything.

It really still depends on the particular sound card you have. I've played AA on a bunch of different computers, most with on board sound. However, equalizer or not, there's a huge difference between on board sound and an X-Fi sound card. Not really in the quality of sound so much (not really an expert), but rather the "crispiness" or how clear you can hear individual "clicks" and other sounds made by players.

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 03:08:30 AM »
Yes of  course. I have only onboard card, but these settings make me to hear nearly everything. Especially loudness equalization.

Edit: loudness equalization is different setting than equalizator. And using equalizer with it makes it even better.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 03:11:42 AM by Pipez0r »

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
Yes of  course. I have only onboard card, but these settings make me to hear nearly everything. Especially loudness equalization.

Edit: loudness equalization is different setting than equalizator. And using equalizer with it makes it even better.
OK, what is different in the loudness equalizer?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager