Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound does not work  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Pipez0r

Re: Quadrophonic or 5.1 sound does not work
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 05:07:27 AM »
Loudness Equalization uses understanding of human hearing to reduce perceived volume differences.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »
So all in all it seems it makes things more smoother and the power of sound similar. I wouldn't think that's what would help you understand better if you're hearing a noise (such as a click of a gun when someone starts/stops running), but if it works, who am I to argue.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 05:20:06 AM »
It helps me very much to hear different kind of quiet noises, even crawling :)

Someone posted on guru3d forums about it:

It normalizes the audio volume so quiet sounds are easier to hear and loud sounds are less deafening.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 06:03:46 AM »
I personally always hated equalizers...how does it work with footsteps anyway? Doesn't it make judging sound position a bit more difficult?

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 06:09:23 AM »
I personally always hated equalizers...how does it work with footsteps anyway? Doesn't it make judging sound position a bit more difficult?

This Loudness Equalization works differently, but I like it together with equalizator of windows sound settings with setting "powerful". Doesnt make it more difficult to judge the sound position.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »
Well, the regular equalizer just makes some frequencies pop up better. So if you know what frequencies are present in the sounds you want to hear (such as gun clicks, footsteps, doors and so on), you can increase their power. So you can hear those things more clearly among the rest of the noise. You can also use this to lessen the ambient noise on certain maps (e.g Sandstorm).
When all this is done correctly (and there used to be a different EQ setting for just about every map) it helped tremendously.
The reason it doesn't make it more difficult to pinpoint the direction of these noises is because the settings are constant so it is different to playing without them, but you get used to it.

So I suppose the loudness equalizer is sort of like SVM was on X-Fi - it makes it easier to hear sounds that are quite quiet - especially when there's little to no ambient sound - by amplifying them. This can make it a little more difficult to pinpoint the distance the enemy is at since the strength of the action does not diminish with distance the way you'd expect. Plus, it usually depends on whether or not there's other ambient sounds around. So if you're on WC (where there's next no overall ambient sound), depending on the place you're at (or more precisely the local ambient noises there) you will hear far away sounds differently.
This took some getting used to, but I believe I got the hang of it back when I used X-Fi (I still have the card, but no slot for it).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Pipez0r

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 07:48:21 AM »
Pipeline main pump room ambient noise is no problem with it but sandstorm, I need to take that setting off.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager