Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: How do I play this game?  (Read 4072 times)

Offline slannmage

How do I play this game?
« on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 04:10:26 AM »
I've installed it and got the launcher up, I go to deploy and click on a server to join. It then runs through a list and just says "slot open for you in...." at the bottom, but nothing happens.

What's going on? I've done all the file checks and everything..

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: How do I play this game?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 04:46:30 AM »
I see you're using a Mac. I've never owned one personally so I don't quite know how things work on there.

Did 25Assist download AA for you (it's an 11 step process and takes at least 10 minutes, I believe)?
If possible, try running Assist as administrator/superuser.

I hope someone more familiar with macs will be able to help you further.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ronski

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »
is it intel mac? I'm on a mac as well, you don't need to run Assist with any higher powers like some of Windows users have to do, how it should work is just to download, extract, install and go to deploy tab from where you simply need to double click on a server, nothing more

Offline slannmage

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 07:24:14 AM »
Yeah it's just not booting up, training says to reset and repair. tried that and reinstalling the whole thing. Must just be the Mac is too old or something, I'm at work and it's from 2007, though I thought it would be able to run this game...

Our router don't block anything so it isn't that either.

Offline ronski

« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 07:59:43 AM »
Yeah it's just not booting up, training says to reset and repair. tried that and reinstalling the whole thing. Must just be the Mac is too old or something, I'm at work and it's from 2007, though I thought it would be able to run this game...

Our router don't block anything so it isn't that either.
it's pretty old one, I have MacBook Pro (late 2013) and can't brag about the performance of this one either

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Considering AA2.5 was released before that (don't really know when exactly, but Linux/Mac support was dropped in 2006) I'd say it should be able to run it (not great, but it should at least try).

You could try and run AA without Assist, see if that works (I think Ronski might know a way to unpack the app or do I remember incorrectly?).
Another thing you could try to pinpoint the error would be to run the game from a commandline (it helped me get mine working on my Ubuntu).

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, really.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ronski

« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 10:06:25 AM »
You could try and run AA without Assist, see if that works (I think Ronski might know a way to unpack the app or do I remember incorrectly?).
Navigate to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/25Assist/
( click Finder as your active app, hold down option and from top bar choose GO > Library, this way you'll get Application Support visible at your Library ), then just doubleclick on AA25.app. For me it tries to connect to server where I last was online, but because Assist is not open I can't join the server. After that will the actual game main menu appear

With unpacking the app Teddy prolly means opening package contents, it can be done by right clicking on .app file and choosing "Show package contents". This way you can add for example your own forceclass script files to correct folder and use them at server

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 19, 2016, 15:56:51 PM »
Yes, Ronski, that's what I meant.
If the game launches on it's own (in the manner described by Ronski) then the problem could be elsewhere.

Offline slannmage

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2016, 04:23:55 AM »
Ok that way it says not compatible with my version of OS X, 10.4 something.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager