Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: DDOS  (Read 8988 times)

Offline __Tru__

DDOS
« on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 21:31:54 PM »
Admin's/Dev's,

I know you put a lot of time and money into getting AAO up and running. The problem is, there is someone or multiple people performing DDOS attacks on servers and crashing them. The game has become unplayable because there is no protection from pricks like this. Unfortunately this has been happening for about a week and made it where many people cannot play the game anymore. Unless something changes the game is ruined. Plus you might want to start monitoring your shoutbox as there are people who seem to know when a server will crash before it happens.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: DDOS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
Do you know what a DDOS attack is? There's little to nothing that can be done on Assist's side to combat it.
If you want someone to stay at aao25.com and press F5 every 5 seconds in order to monitor the shoutbox, you should either find someone to do it or come up with the money to hire someone to do it.

Servers have been going down for quite a long time, and unless you know who's attacking them, options are extremely limited. I've heard of people hosting their server at DDOS protected servers in order to protect themselves against such attacks, but not everyone can afford to do this, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 07:31:05 AM by teddy_grizzly_bear »
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline WraShadow

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 08:01:43 AM »
There are 2 different behaviors here. Sometimes the gameserver will go down. for that you can use services like buyvm.net for amazing budget protection. The problem is that sometimes the auth server itself goes down and every server will go empty. Nothing gameserver admins can do on that front.

As for the shoubox issue, I recommend a vote button. If someone is voted down - say - 10 times by different verified accounts, then they get locked down for 12h. Ofc, votes would only have a duration of - say - an hour.

» Checkout my Illustration Gallery on the forums
» Checkout my WIP Behancé Gallery

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 08:10:55 AM »

As for the shoubox issue, I recommend a vote button. If someone is voted down - say - 10 times by different verified accounts, then they get locked down for 12h. Ofc, votes would only have a duration of - say - an hour.

I'm sorry but it's not viable for a few reasons, i believe...the first of which would be people using double accounts to gather enough votes to "ban" temporarily someone, in order to bully them.

Multiple accounts relating to a single person is a kind of issue which affects many games and doesn't have a simple, reliable and inexpensive solution.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 08:13:06 AM by Koden »

Offline WraShadow

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »
I expected that. Thing is, the needs of many outweighs the needs of one. If you have 50 accounts banning one, even if its only by 5 members, it takes effort. So, the member probably deserves it.

I thought Assist team was proud of being able to detect double accounts... Still, only accounts with like 50+ honor would be able to vote. I'd still be able to vote 5 times, but still, most people dont have more than 1 account with 100h. My 10-votes suggestion could be tweaked.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 09:41:06 AM »
I expected that. Thing is, the needs of many outweighs the needs of one. If you have 50 accounts banning one, even if its only by 5 members, it takes effort. So, the member probably deserves it.
That's not necessarily true. And even now, i can simply list by memory a few people around here (the most active ones) whom have at least 5 or 6 accounts each. Even many of those who are not really active have at least 2 or 3 accounts.

I thought Assist team was proud of being able to detect double accounts... Still, only accounts with like 50+ honor would be able to vote. I'd still be able to vote 5 times, but still, most people dont have more than 1 account with 100h. My 10-votes suggestion could be tweaked.

Detecting double accounts is not that straightforward: there's automation behind the process, denied accounts get handled manually, those who get past the automation process are done with it. And still, you'd be suprised...even back in the days (before 2011) people used to make lots and lots of battletracker accounts. Many even got stolen.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 09:45:40 AM by Koden »

Offline WraShadow

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »
They have multiples but, from what I gather, all well under 50h. Would take a while to grow an account to that level nowadays.

I'm not surprised coz I'm one of those people lol Every one I know and talk from back in the day have one 100h account and some low honor ones. actually, some of them are 8-honor ones lol

Any way. It was a suggestion. I find fairness to be overrated when balance causes this much conflict.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 11:13:07 AM by WraShadow »

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 13:12:46 PM »
Do you know what a DDOS attack is? There's little to nothing that can be done on Assist's side to combat it.
If you want someone to stay at aao25.com and press F5 every 5 seconds in order to monitor the shoutbox, you should either find someone to do it or come up with the money to hire someone to do it.

Servers have been going down for quite a long time, and unless you know who's attacking them, options are extremely limited. I've heard of people hosting their server at DDOS protected servers in order to protect themselves against such attacks, but not everyone can afford to do this, I'm afraid.
I already offrerd to do that
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 13:14:40 PM »
There are 2 different behaviors here. Sometimes the gameserver will go down. for that you can use services like buyvm.net for amazing budget protection. The problem is that sometimes the auth server itself goes down and every server will go empty. Nothing gameserver admins can do on that front.

This is absoloute nonsesnse. make up a set of rules tell us what they are and ban accordingly. So simple it works.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline =IHF=^Napalm

« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 20, 2017, 02:32:36 AM »
... The problem is, there is someone or multiple people performing DDOS attacks on servers and crashing them. The game has become unplayable because there is no protection from pricks like this. Unfortunately this has been happening for about a week and made it where many people cannot play the game anymore. Unless something changes the game is ruined. Plus you might want to start monitoring your shoutbox as there are people who seem to know when a server will crash before it happens.

Well i play every Weekend AA and we got for weeks/month no DDOS attack over there.
DDOS attacks were often around X-mas time, but right now i didn´t saw any DDOS attacks in AA game.

Offline WraShadow

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 20, 2017, 04:54:13 AM »
Well i play every Weekend AA and we got for weeks/month no DDOS attack over there.
DDOS attacks were often around X-mas time, but right now i didn´t saw any DDOS attacks in AA game.
Perhaps you play during daytime GMT

Offline ronski

« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 20, 2017, 05:08:03 AM »
If you look about one year backwards and all the way until last fall, they used to start around 20:00 CET and keep going for several hours. Feels like there's different person doing these now but then again attacker must be aware of couple of flaws that exists so it's not just some regular dumbass using google how to execute a attack, just saying.

Would be interesting if some active server admin could provide logs from their server once server has crashed. aa25.log provides information about the crash but once you restart the server this log file will get overwritten. So once the server crashes, find the log file and download it to your computer before you restart the server. 

Offline =IHF=^Napalm

« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 20, 2017, 05:43:28 AM »
Perhaps you play during daytime GMT

Well as i´m from Europe i play from 22 0´clock until 2 o´clock in the night. :style:

Offline WraShadow

« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 20, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
Well as i´m from Europe i play from 22 0´clock until 2 o´clock in the night. :style:
I'm in Portugal and from 23:00 til I go to bed (3/4 am) this happens. every single day, on every single server.

Offline =IHF=^Napalm

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 05:08:19 AM »
I'm in Portugal and from 23:00 til I go to bed (3/4 am) this happens. every single day, on every single server.

i don´t know in which game u are playing than, but i never saw this ddos attacks for weeks.
I play more or less r same time in "grandma" server (for example) and nothing happen... :D

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager